logo

Go Back   HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:41 AM   #11
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: .38 Special vs. Deer

Dont even thinking about using the 38.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:13 AM   #12
Nontypical Buck

Check your game laws- a lot of states have a minimum of .357 mag. if I'm not mistaken.

CAN a .38 special kill a deer? Yes
SHOULD you use it to hunt deer? IMO- no, unless you're a prodigy with the pistol and can put the bullet right through the heart or brain every time you pull the trigger.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:49 PM   #13
Spike

If it is legal, then by all means go for it.

Some people need to get off their high horses.
WestonAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:08 PM   #14
Nontypical Buck

Hell, a .22 LR will kill a deer if hit in the right spot! Does that mean it's ethical? No!

.38 Special is not allowed in IL. and in a lot of other states. IMO, i wouldn't even think about it.
2 Lunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:11 PM   #15
Nontypical Buck

Send a message via Yahoo to stalkingbear

Just because something is legal DON'T mean it's automatically ethnical to do so. In ky,it's legal to hunt with .25acp,I assume YOU would do that! Just goes to show how much respect for the game animal some people have toward making a clean kill and reveals their ethnics. I sure DON'T want people like you hunting in MY woods! You have to learn,and you mAY do so eventually,that there's limits to everything and the REAL world ain't like all the movies! "high horse"-perhaps but I choose my hunting pardners carefully.

Quote:
ORIGINAL: WestonAU

Old 11-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #16
Typical Buck

Quote:

Did you even read the post?

Quote:
My question is: do you think this firearm is too little pop to take care of the deer I want to shoot? A little too unethical?
I dont believe anyone is on their "high horse" as you claim, just giving their opinions to the question that was asked. Maybe when you learn how to read, you to can have an intelligent conversation with the rest of us.

johnnybravoo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:50 PM   #17
Fork Horn

I dont recommend it but If the round can kill a man it will kill a deer. Shot Placement is key so I would practice alot before shooting at a deer with any pistol. It would be a cool accomplishment to take a deer with a pistol. Maybe a bigger pistol such as a .44 or even a contender is probably what you are looking for. A .38 is kind of small so I would have to agree with the guys on this one. Nothing wrong with hunting with a pistol...i would just use a bigger caliber.
TRU-GLO BRIGHT SIGHT EXTREME WITH LIGHT
SURE SHOT WHISKER BISCUIT (BLACK)
4560 CARBON EXPRESS TERMINATOR ARROWS TIPPED WITH G5 Montec CS 100 grain Broadheads.

(RIFLE)
Remington 7600 175th Anniversary Edtition Pump
(7mm-08) with MOBU Synthetics
Bushnell 3X9 Scope
Winchester Silvertips 140gains

(TURKEY GUN)
Mossberg 835 tactical in Realtree AP
Truglo Diamond Scope
XXX Full Comp-N-Choke
Winchester 3.5" #5's 2oz.
Otsdawa_Game_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:01 PM   #18
Nontypical Buck

Quote:
ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

Just because something is legal DON'T mean it's automatically ethnical to do so. In ky,it's legal to hunt with .25acp,I assume YOU would do that! Just goes to show how much respect for the game animal some people have toward making a clean kill and reveals their ethnics. I sure DON'T want people like you hunting in MY woods! You have to learn,and you mAY do so eventually,that there's limits to everything and the REAL world ain't like all the movies! "high horse"-perhaps but I choose my hunting pardners carefully.

Quote:

"Holier than thou"

-- Keep the wind at your back, the decoys pretty, and shoot 'em in the face!

lead guitarist for the next best metal band
Chris_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:53 AM   #19
Fork Horn

No. A .38 is entirely too small. i am a police officer in michigan and have first hand knowledge of the .38. did u know that, when shot at the right angle, a .38 will ricochete off glass and not break it. the round is too small. that is why smith and wesson made the .357 magfor police officers. it was to replace the .38 because it is not powerful enough.

if you wantto kill a deer with a handgun, or have one incase the deer comes on the side you can't shoot the rifle, get a .357 mag, .41 mag, or a.44 mag. the .357 mag will get you out to 20 yards, .41 mag about 25-30, andthe .44 mag about 30-35 maybe 40(all estimates...all will work at longer ranges but wouldn't recommend it). if you want something that will kill the deer without worry, get a .454 or .460. they are big rounds (and expensive guns) but you don't have to worry. you get either gun ported and it won't kick much more than a .44 mag.

G5 Striker Broadheads
G5 Magloc Arrow Quiver
Browning X-Bolt 30.06

Whackin a Michigan deer with an all Michigan archery set up...that's Pure Michigan!
MISwampDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:38 AM   #20
Nontypical Buck

use that pea shooter for puttng them out of their misery. Kill fast, humanelyand hard, don't play w/ this light stuff. The only ego being fed doing that is yours. Not right!
"There is nothing in the world like a persuasive speech to fuddle the mental apparatus and upset the convictions and debauch the emotions of an audience not practiced in the tricks and delusions of oratory." --American author and humorist Mark Twain (1835-1910)
Buck Hunter 1 is offline   Reply With Quote