HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   How long to soak deer (http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/270486-how-long-soak-deer.html)

Bull543 10-28-2008 04:25 PM

How long to soak deer
 
I took a doe on Fri and amaging the meat in a cooler with ice water, draining the bloody water off.

How long are you suppose to do this for?

COWBOYSFAN 10-28-2008 06:05 PM

RE: How long to soak deer
 
I soak mine for 3 to 4 days

jrbsr 10-28-2008 06:10 PM

RE: How long to soak deer
 
Quote:

ORIGINAL: Bull543

I took a doe on Fri and amaging the meat in a cooler with ice water, draining the bloody water off.

How long are you suppose to do this for?
Make sure to keep putting ice on the deer as it melts out.

7X57MAUSER 10-28-2008 06:29 PM

RE: How long to soak deer
 
I soak mine for 5 days

blackpowderfever 10-28-2008 06:35 PM

RE: How long to soak deer
 
I soak mine for 3 days, sometimes more if it is really bloody. I also cut any blood clots out periodically.

CAM2 10-28-2008 07:26 PM

RE: How long to soak deer
 
Quote:

ORIGINAL: jrbsr
Make sure to keep putting ice on the deer as it melts out.
yep, i also add some salt. it's supposed to help draw out the blood. for me it usually ends up to soak for 5 or 6 days by the time i can find the time to cut it up. with that said, one of the ways i like to tell how long to soak it is when the water that you drain starts to come out clear. the more blood that you can get out of the meat the better IMHO.

Slackdaddy 10-28-2008 07:48 PM

RE: How long to soak deer
 
Why ????
Never heard of soaking deer meat, nor see whatthe benifit is ?

Now if it was marinated in peewhile field dressing, that is a different story.

Slack

JagMagMan 10-28-2008 08:02 PM

RE: How long to soak deer
 
I've heard of people soaking deer for 7 days or more , keeping the water drained and adding ice as needed. I personally soak for 5-7 days.
Slackdaddy, some of us , especially down south don't have the luxury of cold weather to hang and age deer meat, or access to a meat locker.
Keeping the meat in an ice chest and keeping the water drained for a few days ages the meat and allows the blood to drain out. By gutting them ASAP and getting it on ice for a few days, I've never had anyone say that the meat tastes "gamey!"


lpv77 10-28-2008 11:13 PM

RE: How long to soak deer
 
I usually 1/4 the deer and lay the 1/4s on garbage bags on the shelves in my spare fridge. Any opinions on this method?

2 Lunger 10-28-2008 11:37 PM

RE: How long to soak deer
 
Quote:

ORIGINAL: CAM2

yep, i also add some salt. it's supposed to help draw out the blood. for me it usually ends up to soak for 5 or 6 days by the time i can find the time to cut it up. with that said, one of the ways i like to tell how long to soak it is when the water that you drain starts to come out clear. the more blood that you can get out of the meat the better IMHO.
How many of you guys add salt to your meat while soaking or cooking??? Do you realize this is the worst thing you can do to meat? I know this is an age old method, but salt makes any meat immediately tough. Ask any butcher what salt does to meat and he will give you this same answer.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:01 PM.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1