Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How long to soak deer

Old 10-30-2008, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How long to soak deer

ORIGINAL: Slackdaddy

Why ????
Never heard of soaking deer meat, nor see whatthe benifit is ?

Now if it was marinated in peewhile field dressing, that is a different story.

Slack
same here never soaked my just hung it up

Old 10-30-2008, 09:12 PM

We process our own deer and use the same method as someone posted earlier. 1/4 it and throw it in a trash bag and then leave it in the spare fridge for a day or two, then we pull it out and trim the fat and silver, slimy stuff off and start processing. Never soaked it before and never added any salt or anything like that to it. I would consider the soaking thing if everyone seems to think it works but it also seems like more work than we already have when we shoot 5-7 deer in a weekend.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer to let mine hang for a few days weather permitting. Most of the time i quarter lay in fridge put a layer of freezer paper between each quarter and let sit in the fridge for a few days. Has always worked well for me.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mgreen

So then it doesn't taste like deer so go buy some beef.
No, it doesn't taste like beef, it tastes like fine venison, without the gamey taste!
Old 10-30-2008, 11:31 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ydduit

ORIGINAL: 2 Lunger

ORIGINAL: CAM2

yep, i also add some salt. it's supposed to help draw out the blood. for me it usually ends up to soak for 5 or 6 days by the time i can find the time to cut it up. with that said, one of the ways i like to tell how long to soak it is when the water that you drain starts to come out clear. the more blood that you can get out of the meat the better IMHO.
How many of you guys add salt to your meat while soaking or cooking??? Do you realize this is the worst thing you can do to meat? I know this is an age old method, but salt makes any meat immediately tough. Ask any butcher what salt does to meat and he will give you this same answer.
I second that!!!

If you need to salt your meat, do so after it is cooked! Salting prior to or while cooking only draws the moisture out of the meat resulting in dryer and tougher meat.
I'll be the third! I won't even salt hamburgers or steaks or chicken for that matter. It dries it out.

I'll apologize in advance for a scientific explanation of why for those who don't want to hear about it. I'm a chemist so I'm weird to begin with but we chemists have a fondness for explaining things. First of all, when roads freeze what do put on them to thaw them out? Salt. It lowers the freezing point of water. With dihydrogen monoxide (water, H2O), when you lower the freezing point you also lower the boiling point. At the boiling point water becomes steam and evaporates. When you introduce salt to the meat (more than what would naturally be in there) it causes more of the water to evaporate more quickly, thus drying out the meat exponentially faster than normal.

This is also why it seems like adding salt to a pot of water that you are trying to boil makes it boil faster. It does boil faster, but it's not because it accepts the heat better, it's just easier to reach the lower boiling point because it takes less energy to do so. The bad part is if you're boiling the water to cook and kill off any bacteria you want to have more heat to kill off ALL of the bacteria. To be safer keep the salt out until the end for the best results. You'll also get better tasting, juicier meat!
Old 10-30-2008, 11:36 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: 1shotkill1993

ORIGINAL: Slackdaddy

Why ????
Never heard of soaking deer meat, nor see whatthe benifit is ?

Now if it was marinated in peewhile field dressing, that is a different story.

Slack
takes the nickel taste out of the food that some people call "gamey taste"

IMO it makes it taste alot better.
I really hope you don't know what nickel tastes like! If so, stay up on your cancer check ups. I work with that stuff and it's some nasty stuff.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:30 AM
Typical Buck

My deer are 100% buchered and in the freezer 4 hours after the trigger is pulled. While living in NH, I saw many folks hang deer outside for several days. Down here in NC, its too warm.

Soaking? never heard of it.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have a gamey taste, its not from blood in the meat or lack of aging.
More apt to be from attempts at aging, bad field dressing, rutting buck, not cooling fast enough.
Put 2 properly prepared deer steaks in front of someone - one "aged" and the other dressed,skinned, cut and froze in 24 hours.
Most will pick the 2nd.

Steve

Old 10-31-2008, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: RyanATiffany

ORIGINAL: ydduit

ORIGINAL: 2 Lunger

ORIGINAL: CAM2

yep, i also add some salt. it's supposed to help draw out the blood. for me it usually ends up to soak for 5 or 6 days by the time i can find the time to cut it up. with that said, one of the ways i like to tell how long to soak it is when the water that you drain starts to come out clear. the more blood that you can get out of the meat the better IMHO.
How many of you guys add salt to your meat while soaking or cooking??? Do you realize this is the worst thing you can do to meat? I know this is an age old method, but salt makes any meat immediately tough. Ask any butcher what salt does to meat and he will give you this same answer.
I second that!!!

If you need to salt your meat, do so after it is cooked! Salting prior to or while cooking only draws the moisture out of the meat resulting in dryer and tougher meat.
I'll be the third! I won't even salt hamburgers or steaks or chicken for that matter. It dries it out.

I'll apologize in advance for a scientific explanation of why for those who don't want to hear about it. I'm a chemist so I'm weird to begin with but we chemists have a fondness for explaining things. First of all, when roads freeze what do put on them to thaw them out? Salt. It lowers the freezing point of water. With dihydrogen monoxide (water, H2O), when you lower the freezing point you also lower the boiling point. At the boiling point water becomes steam and evaporates. When you introduce salt to the meat (more than what would naturally be in there) it causes more of the water to evaporate more quickly, thus drying out the meat exponentially faster than normal.

This is also why it seems like adding salt to a pot of water that you are trying to boil makes it boil faster. It does boil faster, but it's not because it accepts the heat better, it's just easier to reach the lower boiling point because it takes less energy to do so. The bad part is if you're boiling the water to cook and kill off any bacteria you want to have more heat to kill off ALL of the bacteria. To be safer keep the salt out until the end for the best results. You'll also get better tasting, juicier meat!

I gotta call B.S. on your explanation. Salt added to water does lower the freezing point.Salt added towaterRAISES the boiling point, though usually not enough for anynoticable differencein cooking applications. Back to class jr.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't like to get the meat all wet. I hang in a spare fridge or keep it in a cooler out of the water when travelling.

Quick Reply: How long to soak deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.