Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Meat

Old 10-26-2008, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default Deer Meat

i guess i am being lazy, but had to ask. What are the benefits of deer
meat?? is it at all bad for u?? does the enviroment come into play??
what they are drinking and such?? i guess i am trying to ask, are the
deer contaminated like everything else in the wild?? do they harbor high
pollutants??
Old 10-26-2008, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Meat

For one thing, deer meat is very lean, and is tastes pretty good too...
Old 10-26-2008, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

deer meat is extremely healthy. its extra lean, if your watching your diet. i dont think it tasted that bad, but personally i dont like deer meat as much unless its from a doe. all the bucks ive taken have been in full rut and dont taste as good IMO
Old 10-26-2008, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

well..I know the doctors told my mother she had to stay away from beef...(shes diabetic and has heart problems) but..told her she should eat venison.. and turkey. So...eat deer..its doctor recommended
Old 10-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

tht is a fact...lean as heck..i wonder if it is as good
for u as buffalo
Old 10-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Banned

No hormones, free range, organic, lean, and cheap. What more could you want? Too often people say it tastes gamey. Doesnt chocolate taste chocolatey? Proper processing makes for better meat. I don't like anyone messing with mine except me. One thing I like to do is soak it in a kosher salt solution before cooking. That helps pull the blood out, which gets rid of some of the iron (blood) taste that people refer to a gamey...
Old 10-27-2008, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemond35

i guess i am being lazy, but had to ask. What are the benefits of deer
meat?? is it at all bad for u?? does the enviroment come into play??
what they are drinking and such?? i guess i am trying to ask, are the
deer contaminated like everything else in the wild?? do they harbor high
pollutants??
Never heard that one before. Deer meat is far better for you than the steroid injected meats you get from the store. I'd geuss 99% of the people here hunt for the meat. Sure a big buck would be nice but thats realy a bonus becuse you get the meat to eat. Cared for properly in the field and by the butcher, then cooked right and it will taste as good or better than beef (better IMO) I have steaks from a rutted up buck I shot last year. I could fix it and you'd never know it wasn't beef.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Derr meat varies from state to state as to what the animals feed on and what kind of terrain they live in. I've heard of alot of folks that live around Colorado talk about how the sage brush makes em taste horrible, I know that the deer here in Kansas taste pretty good, but I thought that the deer I shot in Virginia was a little gamier...
The deer I used to shoot in NY had a that real Venison taste that I have learned to judge all venison by.
I also honestly believe that any game animal will tast gormet good if done properly... Thats the key... learning how the meat looks and all while its cooking.
All wild game meat is better for you than store bought is, even raccoon, and my grandma used to make some rockin ass raccoon.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

In PA the deer taken below I-80 taste better. More agri foods than in the big woods. I can tell the diference intastes between my PA and OH deer. Ohio deer better tasting hands down. I think it is the corn and soy bean that does that. My wife could never get over how you had to watch cooking deer meat. Lees fat quicker on the burn. Oh and some trivia, in Japan fish is becoming hard ad to get and expensive. They are using venison as a substitue w/ some success. I mean tatse tuna sushi and then taste venison, it ain't that bad! Andrew Zimmern, that guy would eat 10 day old road kill if you served it on a cracker and tell him it's good!
Old 10-27-2008, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

My daughter's teenage friend never had venison before. I was processing a deer in the garage friday evening and my daughter asked if they could have venison for dinner. I said sure, why not, as I was trimming up the backstraps. They LOVED it. Daughter asked for more venison last night, I was happy to oblige.

Quick Reply: Deer Meat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.