Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Moon Phase

Old 10-17-2008, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default Moon Phase

Was out tonight and saw 1 deer which was a little 6pt with a decent body...

Wondering if the moon phase has anything to do with lack of deer sightings...

Any ideas. Im thinkin bout heading out in the AM again or hunting tomorrow night...Not 100% sure which yet...
Old 10-17-2008, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Moon Phase

I,ve noticed the last few nights I,ve seen very few deer and somt times none at all .
It has just started to cool down now , maybe it will help out .
Old 10-17-2008, 09:15 PM

i believe the moon plays a big role in when deer move and how much. ive been doing my own research and taking notes.... im sure i dont know everything, but i feel confident i can see deer no matter the phase of the moon - just gotta know when to look.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Been a bright moon all week, The temps have cooled down over the last couple days here and it is cloudy tonight, should see some deer moving in the morning hours, That is the plan anyway...
Old 10-17-2008, 09:40 PM

Below is a link from one individuals recorded observations on deer activity based on the moon phases. Just keep in mind that there are several other factors that may have ocurred that also impacted his findings.

http://www.imbmonsterbucks.com/info.php?id=64

Hope this helps some.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:01 AM

According to deer researcher T.R. Michels, of all the factors that affect deer activity, the moon has the least affect.The amount and location offood, the rut, hunting pressure, and mostly the weather, affects when, where an when deer are most active.But, he says that studies do show that deer, including dominant bucks, are most active in daylight hours (thoughout the year) during the full and last quarter phases of the moon. But the weather will override any influnece the moon has on deer - clouds may counteractsome of the moons influence on deer.