Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

field dressing

Old 10-11-2008, 05:19 PM

Default field dressing

anyone know the best way to remove sex organs from a buck do you cut around them or do you just cut them off and keep cutting in a straight line? if you cut them off i worry about hitting the bladder i had never field dressed a deer before last night so it was kinda trial by fire i did okay didnt cut the stomach or bladder but i cut around the sex organs it it okay to cut them off and continue on down to the pelvic bone?
Old 10-11-2008, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: field dressing

Cut to the one side, cut out the butt hole, come back the other side.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

i use the butt out tool from hunters specialties. i do that first. then if its a buck i cut off its nuts without breaking the hide. then i cut right below the breast bone, at the v, and cut the hide all the way down to the pelvis. after that i cut through the breast bone and reach in to cut the trachea. i then go back down to the pelvis and break it with my hand axe. then come back up top, grab the trachea and pull out cutting when needed.

hope it helps

Old 10-12-2008, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

i do it similar to these guys, grab his dank and cut carefully to one side then to the other down around his nutz. the the whole package is in your hads. i toss that to the side and then i open him up from just ahead of where you grabbed his dank. i cut him to the breast bone and thats it i reachy up in and grab just ahead of the goodies and pull and pull all his guts out then i remove his a hole. ive tried that butthole thing and it does work kinda. on big hardy maine bucks mine twisted into a pretzel in just a quarter turn, i threw that thing out and ill continue to use my knife from now on again. then i pull out his butt hole and what not and hes all done. i leave the live in the gut pile. who would want to eat that nasty ouil filter anywyas. i dont cutthe diaphram cuz we always have long drags through nasty woods. once i get to the truck ill slie the diaphram and take heart and lung
Old 10-13-2008, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personally start by cutting around his giggle stick and 2 berries. I don't cut them off, just kind of stick them through to the guts. Then continue my cut up to the breastbone. If In not muonting the deer, I cut through the breastbone up to the windpipe, cut the wind pipe and start to pull everything out. When I get doen to the diaphram, I cut around it and just push everything out. Then, as it is a tradition where I hunt, you hand the balls from a tree.Something everyone I know does. Its good luck, so I hear.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm so glad that I don't field dress anymore. You don't have to worry about stuff like this when you just leave the guts where they belong (inside the deer)and quarter the deer out on the spot! Works great for pigs and even elk too!
Old 10-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't field dress a deer and never will. I drag the deer out and hang it whole, guts intact, from the hind quarters. After I skin the deer, Icut open the mid section just enough to get to the tender loins. The guts never hit the ground. This is when I also remove the bladder and the penis.I then cut out the backstraps. I then cut the front quarters off, then saw the hind quarters from the rest of the carcass at the lower end of the back. The remainder of the deer falls to the ground andI drag the carcass off in the woods with guts still intact for the other wild critters to feast on.All Ihave hanging noware the hind quarters, which I saw in two.It's quick, easy, and not very messy. Also, I always wear surgical gloves when cleaning deer.