Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Walnuts?

Old 10-11-2008, 11:39 AM

Default Walnuts?

So i have a plethora of walnuts in my yard... i rake them and rake them and rake them and they keep falling... the neighbors goats wont eat them so there is a huge pile of walnuts across the fence... my question is can/will deer eat these? if so imay just dump some out in front of the trail cam.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Walnuts?

Nope, good squirrel food though.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guaranteed Pope and Young squirrels with those bad boys. Deer aren't interested though.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

A couple walnut trees right around one of my stands. They make one hell of a racket when they fall. To bad the deer don't like em...
Old 10-11-2008, 05:07 PM
Fork Horn

why not eat them yourself?

boil them in some water to make the shell softer and easierto crack, then pick out the meat. THey actually arent too bad. Ive tried some in the past but simply hit the nut w/ a hammer. that usually takes several whacks.

I didnt know deer wouldnt eat them...i kinda wondered myself.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto - Not sure about walnuts cause we don't have any where I hunt, but I suspect not because they will not eat hickory nuts either, which are in some ways similar to walnuts.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:57 AM
Typical Buck

Not sure about walnuts cause we don't have any where I hunt, but I suspect not because they will not eat hickory nuts either, which are in some ways similar to walnuts.
You're probably thinking of the walnuts you would buy at the store. The nuts from a black waltnut tree are entirley different. It takes a hammer to get into to one, so there's no way a deer could eat one. Even if cracked it's still a chore to get the meat out. Around here the squirrels don't mess with them unless other nuts are in short supply.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:55 AM

Are black walnuts the type that look like a greenish yellow fruit, and smells citrusy when you break them open?
Old 10-13-2008, 10:57 AM
Typical Buck

Yes, they usually have a yellow-ish green soft outside. I haven't noticed deer eating them in the past.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:11 AM
Fork Horn

nope...however you can pick them and make a killer bananas walnut bread with them...

Quick Reply: Walnuts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.