Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 ESPN's "best time to hunt" chart for October >

ESPN's "best time to hunt" chart for October

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ESPN's "best time to hunt" chart for October

Old 10-05-2008, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default ESPN's "best time to hunt" chart for October

Check it out... Man, I am so glad I have off on the 14,15,16th...etc...

I haven't been out yet, since I work nights, and haven't had any vacation time. At least with my graveyard shift schedule, I'm technically "off" starting Thur mornings, all day Friday, and Sat morning (but then, I have to go back to sleep Sat afternoon/evening, and revert my body back to night hours, and go back to working nights.

Hunting the full moon on the 14th looks great. Anyone else follow these moon phase charts?

Old 10-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ESPN's "best time to hunt" chart for October

I don't take much stock in them. I've always heard the best deer movement occurs when the moon is overhead. If this is true, then on the days you mentioned, the best movement will be in the middle of the night. Not too good in my book. I've experienced in the past that a full moon means less movement during the daylight hours. I'm going to be hunting anyway, full moon or not. I usually see more daylight activity on thenew moon or the 2nd quarter, meaning that Oct. 21-29 should be the best times out during the morning to late morning hours. I'm no expert on this, but I'm just going on what I have experienced in the field in the past.Like I said, I don't care if the moon is full or not, if the solunar tables say don't go or go, I'm going hunting anyway. Let us know if you saw activity those days you were off. Best of luck to you.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

i dont really understand the charts
Old 10-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MdDave

i dont really understand the charts
The longer the "black bar" on the left side, the better time it is to hunt. You can't really see the wording, but each column on the left underneath "Best Days" says,
"Poor", "Fair", "Good", "Excl".
Old 10-05-2008, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

hey thanks! haven't found this elsewhere!

Old 10-05-2008, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another thing, the above chartpredicted slow to moderate movement, primarily in the afternoon from 2:00 to 3:30. I hunted morning and afternoon, and the deer moved well from daylight to about 8:30, and then again from 5:30 til dark. My point is, you can't always base your hunts on the solunar table. I do believe there is some validity tothem, but not always. There are just too many weather factors involved to base all of your hunts on the solunar table.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

i cant understand the charts.

why would the deer move more during day if they had all night to move during a full moon?

it would make more sense to me that they move more during the day on a new moon because they cant see at night??
Old 10-06-2008, 12:47 AM
Spike

yeah if anyone has any success because of following the chart let the rest of us know
Old 10-06-2008, 06:06 AM

Cool thanks for posting that. I've been looking for one of these. What the website though?
Old 10-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

he said that the longer the black bar the better

Quick Reply: ESPN's "best time to hunt" chart for October

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.