Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Box Stand Plans

Old 09-19-2008, 09:33 PM

Default Box Stand Plans

My son has been hammering me about going deer hunting and I need some help building a box stand. I am planning on a 4x6 on 10' 4x4's my son and Ican hunt from.Any suggestions on height of box, L/W of widows, height of widows from floor,roof materials wood/tin, put shelfs in this spot at this height, etc.
Any input/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-19-2008, 09:45 PM

Default RE: Box Stand Plans

box stands are nice to have and use..but ive moved away from generally using them..at one time thats alli used..if someone is hunting with me i usually just use a ground blind or the buddy tree stand..witch is cheap and has ample room and is comfortable..and can be moved anywhere..following deer patterns etc..but..if you want to build one 10 foot 4x4s should work and as for windows..just leave it open..i dont use window..to much of a hassle..makes noise when opening..use 3/4 in. plywood for the floor..put the 4x4s about 2 or three feet in the ground..plywood walls quarter to half in is fine..use 2x4s for assembling the walls..same as roof..ask for more info if u need it.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:04 AM
Fork Horn

I've also thought about building one, so I bought these plans. Very good instructions and detailed material list.
www.renterprises.net/deerstand.html
Old 09-20-2008, 06:44 AM

Thanks for the infomation countrymudder! As far as the height of box would you go 67" or 60" & what is a good all around height for wallsneed to be to sit in a chair and make a gun rest?
Old 09-20-2008, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bodine,
I built one early in the year and it is similar to what you are talking about other than it isn't very high off the ground. I started with 4X4's for the corner post's then wrapped 2X6's treated where I was putting my floor, wrapped 2X4's where I was putting my windows, I used metal siding for the roof. I put my window's at 34" with a 10" opening, I put shelves in between the windows just below the window level, I also put plexiglass windows in it and then tinted them with the window tint from home depot. This helps to keep them from seeing in the blind, which I figured would be a good thing since my wife and daughter would be hunting this blind..
The walls on mine are 6'4" in the front and 6' in the back, so that is a 4" fall in the roof, so the rain will run off of it. This one is kind of big as I built it for my wife and daughter's, it is 6'X8' and is only 2' off the ground as we hunt in the brush country in Texas.
I don't have plans but I have a couple pictures to help you get an idea of what I am talking about. If you have any more questions you can pm me...

Before the paint:

After The paint: (I painted the inside too, this will help with making the stand last)

In the woods with the windows installed and ready to hunt:

Old 09-20-2008, 03:23 PM

Man!!! That is an awesomestand!!! I think my wife would join me in hunting pursuits out ofthat stand. Thank you for the advice. This is a great site and you guys are the best. My son and I are just starting out and quality information is much needed. I am off to Lowes'!!!!
Old 09-20-2008, 08:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here is something I have given thought to. Build 3 or four platforms about 8 or 10 feet off the ground big enough that you can tie a ground blind on top of. You can buy them on sale for about $80 (that is what I just paid for an Ameristep Grizzly blind), you can move them around and it would be easier to build just flat platforms with treated 3/4" plywood.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:40 PM

looks good, painting the inside also helps to keep shadow/silhouette casting at a minimum

ORIGINAL: TexasBowHunter

After The paint: (I painted the inside too, this will help with making the stand last)

Old 09-20-2008, 08:41 PM

also bodine, keep in mind, it doesn't have to look perfect when done... the deer don't care
Old 09-20-2008, 10:13 PM
Typical Buck

Heres one I biult over last winter and put it up in sections this past spring .
Pressure treated 4x4, and floor .
2X4 walls and roof with plywood .
Meusures 8x8 and goes from 8 feet down to 6 feet tappered roof .
Instaled 7 tilt down plexy windows .
After all done and painted approx. $450. to biuld if my memorow servce me right ... Oh ya its abought 10 feet off the ground from the floor .

Quick Reply: Box Stand Plans

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.