Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help with Blind Location

Old 08-07-2018, 01:14 PM
Spike

Default Help with Blind Location

Hi all

I'm new to hunting. I live in Ontario. I will be hunting my own property, which you can see on the attached map. I'm looking for advice on blind locations. I'll be hunting whitetail with bow and rifle. My land is 81 acres. The property is 1.15 KM deep and 300 meters wide. The property is essentially flat with only a couple small rolls but nothing even approaching a hill.

The property is 7 fields with my house at the front with barns etc, then a marsh and apple orchard at center, and fields with tree lines for the rest. Two very small wood lots are visible.

On the attached map (poor quality) north is at the top. Our prevailing winds are from the west but can vary from north to south. East is very rare.

I have a tree blind set up in the middle of the property next to the visible marsh which is on the west end of the marsh and just south of the apple orchard. The large circle on the map is where I normally see deer beds. The long line on the west/left of the map is a laneway where there are a couple nice rubs, and I know the deer use this laneway to head further north to a large lake and forest.

The other markings on the map are other areas I could easily put up tree stands. I can access all of these from the south, or I can drive around to the road on the north and walk in from the north also.

From N-S the 7 fields are as follows, Brush/fallow, Brush/Fallow, hayed, orchard/brush/marsh, hayed, hayed, house/barn/hayed. The properties on either side of me are 100-200 acre farms with mixed fields/bush. To the north is one road and then bush. To the south is town.

I'm looking for advice on where to set up and why, and ground or tree blind?

Thanks very much for any advice

Warren
Attached Thumbnails Help with Blind Location-hunting-blind-possible-locations.png  
Old 08-07-2018, 01:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not knowing the area and the map is too small to be of much help, I would say your best since you know where the deer are moving is to put your stand between where they bed and where they want to be when they leave the bed. If there is a choke point where two or more trails come together, so much the better.