Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 New scope for new deer rifle....opinions please >

New scope for new deer rifle....opinions please

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New scope for new deer rifle....opinions please

Old 08-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default New scope for new deer rifle....opinions please

I'm in the market fora scope for my new LH Remington XCR in .30-06. I've got it narrowed down to 3 models.

Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10X44
Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40
Leupold Vari X-III 3.5-10X40

A gunsmith that I trust to know his stuff says the 3.5-10X44 Zeiss would be his top pick, followed by the Leupold, then by the 3-9X40 Zeiss.

Just wondering what you folks think. I don't want to go any larger than the 44mm tube and I'm looking for the one that will gather in light the best for those first and last 15min. of shooting light.

Thanks

Old 08-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New scope for new deer rifle....opinions please

Out of those three I would go withZeiss 3.5-10x44. I just bought a scope, but didn't want to spend six to eight hundred dollars. If I would have, I would have bought the Zeiss 4.5-14x44.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:14 AM
Fork Horn

That actually brings up another question......

How many of you folks like the slight "bump up" in magnification in a 4.5-14X40 scope. At the ranges I'll be hunting, I don't need that much magnification.....but it seems like it would be nice for shooting paper at past 100 yards when I'm trying to see what load groups the best out of my rifle.

What do you think?
Old 08-05-2008, 06:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Zeiss, Zeiss and then Lupy
Old 08-05-2008, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

check out the bushnell elite 3200,. great scope, i have these on almost every rifle
Old 08-05-2008, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Zeiss Conquest is a great way to go. I have 2 Vari-X III's and they are good scopes. Don't get me wrong. You will not go wrong there either. But I like my Zeiss Conquest better. It is definitely crisper and does very nice in low light. I have one on a 50 cal. CVA ML I have used it only one year, so no way to judge the "long time" durability. It did fine last season. Probably 200 rounds including range work and deer & hog killing. As for going "up" to say a 4.5-14 ???I figure 14X is more in line for small critters at long distances.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Either of the Conquests would be my choice. I do prefer smaller, lower mounting objectives so I'd probably go with the 3-9 X 40. It's plenty enough scope.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Leupold 4.5-14X 40mm Vari X III which has given me good service over the last fourteen years, but I would go for the Zeiss (either one) if I was going to get a new scope. I looked at the Zeiss Conquest 3-9X a couple of years ago, and was impressed at how clear it was compared to Leupold, Burris, and Nikon scopes.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:13 PM

If your talking deer I would be looking at less power, not more. Unless you are shooting at some very long ranges. 2-7X is plenty for deer out to 100-200 yards. Plus the scope can be more compact, will normally be brighter and have a wider field of view. Probably save you a few dollars as well.

Paul
Old 08-05-2008, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with the Leupold Scope and use Millet mounts and rings...they are very good in my opinion and I have them on my Browning .243 Rifle.

Quick Reply: New scope for new deer rifle....opinions please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.