Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best 7mm .08 for deer>>>

Old 07-28-2008, 01:41 PM

Default Best 7mm .08 for deer>>>

Im getting a 7mm .08 for the lil woman and my son, Whats the best deer stopper in this caliber??
Old 07-28-2008, 02:15 PM

Default RE: Best 7mm .08 for deer>>>

I don't get what your asking? Do you want to know what our brand preferences are for a rifle, or what loads we would suggest? Normally we have someone want a particular rifle and ask what caliber would be good, not the other way around.

How big is your wife, what sort of looks do you like, what is your budget, where will it be used? You can get rifles from $300 - $3,000 depending on what you want. They will all kill deer for the most part. Just depends on what you like and how much you can afford or are willing to spend.

I'm a budget minded person so I am pretty fond of Savage rifles. And if you want to save even more look at the Stevens line. Howa's are pretty nice for the money as well. And it just goes up from there.

Just don't get one of those cheap plastic Remingtons, if your going to go cheap stick with Steven or a Mossberg.

And don't overlook the H&R/NEF Handi single shot rifles either. You can pick them up for under $300 in most cases.

Paul
Old 07-28-2008, 03:31 PM

As far as guns go .... it's basically six of one and half a dozen of the other..... like chevy and ford and toyota.

In bolt actions.....

I like the Remington model 7 , the Browning A-Bolt micro hunter, the standard A-Bolt, the Remington 700, Ruger M77 and M77 Compact.... stuff like that is top shelf.

After that, looking at economics.... Mossberg makes the ATR 100 and the 4x4 , stevens, stuff like that are good guns and not too expensive..... I never steer anyone towards the bottom of the line stuff.

As far as loads go, I have had pretty good luck with Remington loads with the ballistic tip , and Hornady Light Mag SST, and Nosler partition loads have worked well. Most standard loads are about 139 to 140 gr..... that is plenty for deer sized game, and the 7mm-08 is a fantastic round for all hunters, not just women and children.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:42 PM

Sorry for the confusion, Im asking which grain bullet is best??? Thanks.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

140 gr. worked for me with reasonable recoil....
Old 07-29-2008, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Picked up a 7-08 last year for the same reasons you have. Bought a Savage. Sweet little gun. I reload with a 140 gr. Sierra Game King B/T bullet. Does the job nicely.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I don't get what your asking? Do you want to know what our brand preferences are for a rifle, or what loads we would suggest? Normally we have someone want a particular rifle and ask what caliber would be good, not the other way around.

How big is your wife, what sort of looks do you like, what is your budget, where will it be used? You can get rifles from $300 - $3,000 depending on what you want. They will all kill deer for the most part. Just depends on what you like and how much you can afford or are willing to spend.

I'm a budget minded person so I am pretty fond of Savage rifles. And if you want to save even more look at the Stevens line. Howa's are pretty nice for the money as well. And it just goes up from there.

Just don't get one of those cheap plastic Remingtons, if your going to go cheap stick with Steven or a Mossberg.

And don't overlook the H&R/NEF Handi single shot rifles either. You can pick them up for under $300 in most cases.

Paul
I take offense to that Paul! [:-] I've been shooting a synthetic stock Remington Model 7, 7mm-08 since I was 15. Still have it, still is in as great shape as when I got it, never had a single problem with it, and it still slays the hell outta deer. It's short, lightweight, and very versatile. 7mm-08's are one of the flattest shooting guns you can buy, and have great knockdown power. I have always used ballistic tip 140 gr Winchesters. Last year I couldn't find any Winchesters so I bought Hornadys and they shot great as well. 140 gr is probably the best choice. I love my gun!
Old 07-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I havea Browning A-Bolt Micro-Hunter in 7m/08.I use Federal's w/140gr ballistic tip--absolutely knocks them off their feet!The A-Bolt has an awesome trigger,too
Old 07-29-2008, 02:09 PM

I was speaking of the cheap remignton 710 and 715 models, not all synthetic stocked remingtons. I just couldn't remember the model numbers off hand is all. For the money you will pay for one of those boat anchors you could get a mossberg or stevens and in my opinion it would be a better rifle.

Paul
Old 07-29-2008, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buddy of mine uses hand loads ... 140 gr. Game Kings.

Quick Reply: Best 7mm .08 for deer>>>

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.