Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 do deer like tall grass or mowed grass better? >

do deer like tall grass or mowed grass better?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

do deer like tall grass or mowed grass better?

Old 07-02-2008, 04:10 PM

Default do deer like tall grass or mowed grass better?

i have wondered if deer like short cut grass better or grass and weeds that are tall to go in and be around?
thanks
Old 07-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: do deer like tall grass or mowed grass better?

well mowing it will probably make for better food, but leaving it high will make for better cover. So there is a bit of a trade off, a little of both wouldn't hurt

Old 07-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

Actually deer don't eat eat "grass" very often. When you see a whitetail in a field it is usually browsing on forbs, growing up between the grass shoots, which are native herbaceous tender or soft perennials. Most grasses, unless just starting to grow have a very high lignin (fiber) content and offer very low protein contents.

Often when you do see deer eating grass it is actually a wheat or oat that looks a lot like grass.

As the grass maturesand gets taller it will become very fibrous. if you take a clump of taller mature grass try to rip it. You will see how tough it is. Look at it closely and you will see the fibers sticking out where you tore it. Then take tender new shoots from a newly seeded lawn. It tears very easy and doesn't show those tell tale fibrous strands. deer need about 16% protein in their diets. Corn provides 6%. Grass provides about 2% crude protein. These animals are intelligent or conditioned enough to know what is good for them. They will walk past a mile of red oaks to get to some white oaks. They won't waste their time on most of your common lawn grasses.

Next time you see one feeding, mark the location and walk out there and see what has been nipped off or torn from browsing. I'll bet you that you will find forbs growing up between the garss nipped right off.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you mow a big open field leave a strip or corner for the deer to be able to cross and you've created your own funnel for the deer.I have seen many deer crossing in the tall grass while avoiding an open field so they could be in the cover.If they do cross an open field they won't hang around very long because they are exposed!I have also seen deer check out a new field that has been plowed and disc-ed up,they are checking what new plants are there to browse on!
Old 07-03-2008, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

The millions of acres of CRP grass scattered throughout the Midwest would suggest that you would be far better off to NOT mow it. the higher gass offers security and protection from predator, both man and critters. Many sources also strongly suggest that IF you do mow, mow after Aug 1st to avoid killing fawns, young turkeys, etc. At the very least you'll make it easier for predators to find and hunt them. Any property will be far more productive without the mowing. Good luck and good huntin'
Old 07-03-2008, 07:51 AM

They like the security of tall grass and like the easy travel of short grass when they want to move about. They take the easiest route.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Keep it high for security and mow a section in back of the high grass. They will eat the growing tender forbs which will come up when the sun gets to it.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:27 AM

allright i will let the grass grow tall and everything. thanks

one more question...................i thought the deer traveled on the pth of least resistence? wouldnt that make deer more apt to travel in cut grrass?
Old 07-03-2008, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11

allright i will let the grass grow tall and everything. thanks

one more question...................i thought the deer traveled on the pth of least resistence? wouldnt that make deer more apt to travel in cut grrass?

I think they do moat of the time until they are shot at. Leave it tall but mow some strips through it for them to travel....like right past your stand.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:39 AM

also i reckon that would make a more quiet ebntry for me in the morning
i guess ill jsut mcut a little in fron t of mt stand for em

Quick Reply: do deer like tall grass or mowed grass better?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.