Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Bought a blacklight to check my clothing for UV >

Bought a blacklight to check my clothing for UV

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bought a blacklight to check my clothing for UV

Old 06-21-2008, 03:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Bought a blacklight to check my clothing for UV

So I bought a blacklight to check my hunting clothes for UV brightners already in them....

And surprise suprise most of the foreign made stuff had them overwhelmingly compared to the US made stuff....though some stuff glowed like an xmas tree, some stuff was 50.50 and some stuff totally didn't glow....raingear glowed somewhat gore tex.....which alotta times I'll wear when its cool/warm also carrying less case it rains all in one, but knowing it glows now...I think I won't be wearing it less its raining....

Also by the should point out bought a incandescent black light bulb....which really didn't work, ended up buying a 2' flurouscent style black light.....home depot $15.....worked much better, so those incandescent style are just a waste of $$.

Thinking I may try to hunt exclusively this fall with the non UV clothing and see if I notice a difference.....keep you guys posted if I do and the outcome....
Old 06-21-2008, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Bought a blacklight to check my clothing for UV

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

So I bought a blacklight to check my hunting clothes for UV brightners already in them....

And surprise suprise most of the foreign made stuff had them overwhelmingly compared to the US made stuff....though some stuff glowed like an xmas tree, some stuff was 50.50 and some stuff totally didn't glow....raingear glowed somewhat gore tex.....which alotta times I'll wear when its cool/warm also carrying less case it rains all in one, but knowing it glows now...I think I won't be wearing it less its raining....

Also by the should point out bought a incandescent black light bulb....which really didn't work, ended up buying a 2' flurouscent style black light.....home depot $15.....worked much better, so those incandescent style are just a waste of $$.

Thinking I may try to hunt exclusively this fall with the non UV clothing and see if I notice a difference.....keep you guys posted if I do and the outcome....
You can get a UV Glow Detection Kit

at ----> http://www.atsko.com/products/atsko-special/glow-detection-kit.html
Old 06-22-2008, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

thanks keep us posted for sure i thought that was all hype. id be interested to know if i do glow blue in the woods lol
Old 06-22-2008, 06:08 PM

well, the deer cant mind it to much, cause know one cared about this UV stuff before and we still killed deer, but it would be cool to see if my clothes are blue or not, that probaly will blind me in blue
Old 06-22-2008, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well I would suspect many older hunters and even until fairly recently many guys clothes were made in america using non UV fabrics....now that that trade has almost all gone overseas, ie china....and now we have more and more UV clothing...

Could mean newer clothes are worse than the older ones....just something I think I'm going to try out. Maybe its a paceabo affect, but try it out.

Funny too, checked all the camo hats, have some old time ugly camo back in teh day hats and some new......all sorts, those old ones, don't glow at all! the new ones some glow alot, some a little, but all of the newer ones glow significantly more than those hats from back in the day.

ORIGINAL: millerhunter13

well, the deer cant mind it to much, cause know one cared about this UV stuff before and we still killed deer, but it would be cool to see if my clothes are blue or not, that probaly will blind me in blue
Old 06-23-2008, 04:28 AM
Dominant Buck

I just UV checked some of my hunting clothing last night, to my dismay a Nat Gear T-shirt that I bought at BPS last year glowed like neon, it was hanging right next to two other pieces of clothing in the same pattern, yet neither of them(older) glowed. Good thing I have some UV killler...[:@]
Old 06-23-2008, 09:50 AM
Dominant Buck

The UV Enhancers are added to the dyes used in clothing to make the colors more vivid.....Thay are also added to Laundry Detergentsto enhance the whites whiter...............The detergemtwith the most UV Enhancer is Tide......
Old 06-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was unaware that deer had blacklights for eyes.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Article I read on UV wash killer....was essentially saying it did little good to clothing already dyed with uv brightners etc....course will continue to use it since its my no scent clothign wash...

should wash some of the clothing that glowed like a xmas tree and see the before/after results, maybe could try to take some pictures too and post those.

And apparently deer do have blacklights for eyes....spooky! haha.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:08 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: RugerM77.270

I was unaware that deer had blacklights for eyes.
They can see into a longer light spectum than we can (UV Rays)...In case you also didn't know, you can't blind deer with lights either. The part that reflects light back to you is called the Tatum, that's why you can see thier eyeswhen light shines at them. Etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,...........

Quick Reply: Bought a blacklight to check my clothing for UV

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.