Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 calling in early season and early season hunting strategies? >

calling in early season and early season hunting strategies?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

calling in early season and early season hunting strategies?

Old 06-16-2008, 10:34 AM

Default calling in early season and early season hunting strategies?

I recently bought a 2008 Fred bear Lights out compound bow. This will be my first season bowhunting also. I wondered how everyone hunts in september and october and in the early season because i dont really know how. also what are some hunting strategies for early hunting season?
thanks
Old 06-16-2008, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: calling in early season and early season hunting strategies?

well first you have to learn what food sources are around beans, corn, acorns, milo. very soon after season starts the acorns will be dropping and that will drasticly change a bucks pattern, seemingly disapearing from you summer long scoutingof him. i have learned the hard way to never set a corn feeder out if there are oaks within a mile, you will go from 10-20 deer per night to 1 deer per week. beans get harvested quick after our season in kansas starts so for the most part you only hunt them for a week then the deer change. milo lasts a long time, deer bed in it and love to eat it, alfalfa last almost all year and is the major crop attractant, and corn is always an option.

second there will be much more weeds and filled out trees, the bucks will easily bed almost anywhere especially on the side of a crop field, they usually don't walk as far to the food in the summer and early fall as they do in the winter.

i use doe grunting and fawn bleats to call them in, i never use a hard buck grunt in the early season, if i use a buck grunt i say it with a non-aggressive tone, for the most part i keep to doe grunts, i get more results that way. they are very social early and will often come to the sound of another deer.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

Get two metal pans and beat them together as hard as possible while in standand don't shower for a week. That's always worked for me!

Actually, I would recommend doing a lot of scouting. The deer are still pretty much on a schedule and don't travel much at all. If you can find where a big buck is feeding, you might be able to sneak in on him before he starts rutting. Also pay attention to the weather. If your region is experiencing a drought, water holes or ponds are good spots to sit as well. Another thing to keep in mind is the weather. It is brutally hot in West Central IL during the first part of October. Don't wear much out to the stand and if necessary, put your layers on once you've cooled down. Also, don't forget to re-apply your scent killer because a sweaty body doesn't help. As for scents, rattling, etc. I haven't had any luck during the very early part of the year. I usually find my best results with rattling come the last week of Oct/first week of Nov and the first week of December.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like to setup on fiend edges about 10-20 yards just inside the woods but in a spot that is going to produce me a good shot in the field if needed. Keep in my mind deer are fattening themselves up from mid sept-mid oct in most regions. Hunting a food source will help you succeed.Scent control is most crucial this time of the year because the temps really havent dropped much from August in most regions as well. So dress for the day. The main key for hunter or hunt is to be patient. I dont like to call or even bring calls with me from Mid Sept - Mid Oct. I basicallyuse this time to see whats out there. If I dont get anything no big deal, theres plenty of time left.But if the right buck comes along he'll get stuck. Get out there now and start scouting and getitng ideas on where you want to place stands, cut some small shooting lanes now that the growing season is pretty much done. Also when scouting, hanging stands, triming, placing bait etc, make sure you practice proper scent control. I like to wear knee high rubber boots, a pair of latex gloves under a pair of light work gloves, and spray down with scent killer. Spray all of your gear or leave outside for a while before taking out to the woods. Make sure you spray everything down before you hunt as well. Scent wafers will help. You can get them anyplace that has hunting supplies. I liek to get a pack each year and placeone pack in my bow case and 2 packs in my tub of clothes as well as over night a couple in each boot.This cuts down on the cost ofscent killer or cover scent, but still spray down a bit. Also if youre goign to use this technique, make sure your cover scent and scent wafers are the same scent or you may get laughed at by that big buck thats behind you. Also another tip when using cover scents is to use something thats familiar to deer in the area you are hunting. If you have alot of pine, use pine, if you have alot of oak, use acorn, dont use pine if you dont have pines for hundreds of miles away, you get the point. Keep some of these things in mind and youll do just fine.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Evan,

Congrats on the first bow. I think you'll like it. Get it setup and practice untill your think you can't get better then practice that much more. Practice is the key with a bow. If you know your limits and stick to them you'll do fine when a shot comes.

Now as for hunting early season. Travel routes to and from food plots are great. Any natural funnel increases your chances. Like others have said scent control is critical unless you are great at hunting the wind and have huge amounts of land and places to hunt. I'm not saying you need a scent lock suit but watch your scent. I generaly try to stay away from bedding areas early. you want to catch them moving or eating. Bucks will almost always move in later. They like to survey the fields before moving through.

If you used to gun hunting only you may have a big change in the way you hunt. Guns have the reach a bow doesn't and gun season is in the prime time for bucks moving. Plus more shooting means deer are more jumpy. Bow season, especialy early, is far different. The things you can get away with on opening day of bow won't happen during and after gun season. They get smart quick. Especialy the older ones.

You'll make mistakes and spook deer. You'll get close and spook deer. You may even be haunted by the big one you blew it on. (I know I am to this day) but getting close is alot of fun.

BTW if you need help with shooting I teach 4H archery for Warren county. I could help you out sometime if you need it. Just PM me or email me and we'll try to get together and shoot.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have three stands that are very close to oaks dropping large volumes of acorns every year. I fertilize the oak treesin the spring and it seems to help too, and I also supplement with corn. Hunt food sources is what i would recommend.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Jasonlester

Evan,

Congrats on the first bow. I think you'll like it. Get it setup and practice untill your think you can't get better then practice that much more. Practice is the key with a bow. If you know your limits and stick to them you'll do fine when a shot comes.

Now as for hunting early season. Travel routes to and from food plots are great. Any natural funnel increases your chances. Like others have said scent control is critical unless you are great at hunting the wind and have huge amounts of land and places to hunt. I'm not saying you need a scent lock suit but watch your scent. I generaly try to stay away from bedding areas early. you want to catch them moving or eating. Bucks will almost always move in later. They like to survey the fields before moving through.

If you used to gun hunting only you may have a big change in the way you hunt. Guns have the reach a bow doesn't and gun season is in the prime time for bucks moving. Plus more shooting means deer are more jumpy. Bow season, especialy early, is far different. The things you can get away with on opening day of bow won't happen during and after gun season. They get smart quick. Especialy the older ones.

You'll make mistakes and spook deer. You'll get close and spook deer. You may even be haunted by the big one you blew it on. (I know I am to this day) but getting close is alot of fun.

BTW if you need help with shooting I teach 4H archery for Warren county. I could help you out sometime if you need it. Just PM me or email me and we'll try to get together and shoot.
isnt warren county right next to butler county?
Old 06-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

personally I don't call to an animal if its coming in....

if it comes past and starts going away ill grunt and had them come in.....turn 180 come back.....

Also any animal I don't plan to kill, I won't call to, I see this as educating them and why give them more skills/experience.....

I see guys mess with young deer on tv....or hear fro other hunters about toying with a yearling with a call, and I think, now next year and the years after he'll be wary and you wont see him.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like to key in on food sources and travel routes in the early season. It seems that deer are quite a bit more predictable (if there is such a thing) in the early part of the year. Good luck and have fun!
Old 06-18-2008, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you know where Kings Island is you know where warren county. We shoot at a place called Irons Fruit Farm. They do a bunch of stuff in the fall. You may remember seeing the corn mazes on the news. This past year it was aBegals football theme. Very impressive.

Anyway I don't think we are to far. I work off 71 near 275. I live 20 minutes east though. I've shot bows for many years and if this is your first I may be able to help you avoid some bad habbits people get from learning on thier own. Just a thought.I can meet you after work etc if I know in advance enough.

shoot me a PM or email

Jason

Quick Reply: calling in early season and early season hunting strategies?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.