Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how long in the freezer

Old 03-10-2008, 01:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default how long in the freezer

i have heard a few people say to leave wild meat deer elk turkey what ever
in the freezer for anywhere from 3 to 6 months one guy told me a year
before eating it so the bad stuff dies off.

Does anyone practice this
if so how long do you leave it before you eat it
Two is there anything a deer would have beside the normal stuff that could make a person sick
I.E. cwd and other deer disease

Also if these helps i always cook my meat wild or store bought well done
every so often i might cook a steak medium rare
Old 03-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how long in the freezer

I made some jerky recenty and it said to freeze the meat for at least two months if I remember right. I was using ground from last year so I didn't realy pay attention.

Not sure what they could have. We eat beef that has never been frozen from the store. Injected with all sorts of nasty stuff even to make it look pretty. Never heard to take the stuff home and freeze it. Not sure it could be anything unless there is a worry about the processing. Mine usaly makes it past 2 months before I get to it but I probably have thawed some out before and ate it.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

I've eaten it from litterally still warm from the deer when it hit the pan, to over a year (we vacuum seal everything) and it's fine. I know some people that have their entire deer eaten within 2 months of when it was shot. We even ate a whole on the day after it was shot at deer camp one year. Damn near every time I butcher, I save 2 big steaks to eat fresh. Keeping it in the freezer before eating it is BUNK. Ejoy it whenever the mood strikes you.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never heard that, but my uncle hangs his deer in his shed for over 2 months after he shot it. It may smell bad, but it doesnt taste any different.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've never heard of that practice . . .which isn't to say it does'nt have merit. I've always felt that it's the way you process the meat from the time it's harvested until it's wrapped and put in the freezer.
Most would agree that the quicker you gut and skin your deer after harvesting the better. Check the liver, to see if it isn't spotted or abnormal in any way. Do everything you can to keep the cleaning process clean.
I always put my deer in a large ice chest immediatley after washing the carcass. I fill the ice chest up with ice and then all the water it will hold. I may leave the deer in it for a week, draining the water and blood out every day and topping off with lots of ice and water.
Then the butchering begins. this is where I think venison is made good or bad. We trim off everything that is not pure red meat. We seperate the ham mucles, getting rid of those subcutaneous (sp) layers of skin, we trim off nerves , tallow/fat, glands,etc. The whole time we're doing this we only work on one quarter of the deer at a time, leaving the rest in the ice chest. Once this is done we wash it again in cold water and towell dry.
I like to cut mine up into meal sizes. I'll usually put it in a gallon bag and then double wrap in freezer paper. My venison will keep up to a yr and a half if it's wrapped well.
I feel that venison properly processed is probably a lot cleaner and healthier for you than anything you can buy out of the store.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:26 PM
Typical Buck

I HAVE EATEN IT A DAY OR TWO AFTER THE KILL AND UP TO SIX MONTHS, IT REALLY DOESNT SEEM TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE

Old 03-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wis_rifle_hunter

I never heard that, but my uncle hangs his deer in his shed for over 2 months after he shot it. It may smell bad, but it doesnt taste any different.
[:'(]You have to be kidding.....
Old 03-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

nah, ours is gone in those 6 months
Old 03-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mnbirddog

I've eaten it from litterally still warm from the deer when it hit the pan, to over a year (we vacuum seal everything) and it's fine.
Ditto...
Old 03-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

one guy told me a year
before eating it so the bad stuff dies off.
I actually do the exact opposite. I like to try and have my venison cleaned out and eaten by the next hunting season....

Gotta make room for the new stuff

Quick Reply: how long in the freezer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.