Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunt with silencer/suppressor

Old 11-13-2008, 12:09 PM

Default RE: Hunt with silencer/suppressor

ORIGINAL: instinct

silencers are illegal to own in wisconsin but flash suppressors can be used for hunting these are two totally different items suppressor yes silencer illegal
Sir, it is my pleasure to inform you that WISCONSIN is one of the 36 states that ALLOW silencers. Got to do a bit of research before posting...

"
[align=center]Legality of Silencers[/align]

Silencers are legal under federal law but since 1934 you must pay a $200 tax to purchase and submit to an FBI background check. Fingerprints and photos must be provided and a long wait of several months occurs before the paperwork is approved. There is no 'license' needed to own a silencer.
State law is a different matter. The following states allow ownership of silencers: AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KY, LA, ME, MD, MS, MT, NE, ND, NV, NH, NM, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WV, WI, and WY. Of the sixteen states which do not allow civilian ownership, CA, IA, KS, MA, MO, and MI allow Class-3 dealers and Class-2 manufacturers to own silencers."
Old 11-13-2008, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

It is my pleasure to informanyone reading this forum that it is illegal to sell, deliver, posess , or manufacture any silencer in the state of Wisconsin I do know what I am talking about this is according to Wisconsin state statute 941.298 firearm silencers this infact a felony and if you are caught you may loose the abilty to hunt for the rest of your life maybe you should do more research I am an avid hunter and Love the sport I would hate it to get bad press for a silly reason like I didnt want other animals to know were I was. Thank you sir.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:29 PM

Wisconsin state law:

Class 3 Firearms: Machine guns are legal if you follow BATFE process, state statute 941.27
Short-barrel rifles and shotguns are legal if you follow BATFE process, state statute 941.28
Silencers are legal if you follow BATFE process, statute 941.298

I am not trying to argue with you, but you are wrong. What else can I say ?
Old 11-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

I am not trying to argue either but the tax you are talking about is for manfacturing of a weapon and the other statutes that you have stated are correct as long as they meet certain specs they are legal. But as for silencers is a device used for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable fire arm. Whoever sells, delivers, or possesses a firearm silencer is guilty of a class H felony. This does not apply to peace officers acting in part of the officer's department or agency. And does not apply to a commison warden or any armed forces or national guard personnel, while in the line of duty.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:52 PM

Here is the Wisconsin Law Statute 941.298 and it needs to be read carefully:

941.298 Firearm silencers. (1)
In this section, “firearm
silencer” means any device for silencing, muffling or diminishing
the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of
parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling
or fabricating such a device, and any part intended only for use in
that assembly or fabrication.
(2)
Whoever sells, delivers or possesses a firearm silencer is
guilty of a Class H felony.
(3)
Subsection (2) does not apply to sales or deliveries of firearm
silencers to or possession of firearm silencers by any of the
following:
(a) Any peace officer who is acting in compliance with the
written policies of the officer’s department or agency. This paragraph
does not apply to any officer whose department or agency
does not have such a policy. Notwithstanding s. 939.22 (22), this
paragraph does not apply to a commission warden.
(b) Any armed forces or national guard personnel, while in the
line of duty.
(c) Any person who has complied with the licensing and registration
requirements under 26 USC 5801 to 5872.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:58 PM

You as Joe Citizen, who complied with the law and purchased a silencer by following the National Firearms Act requirement, fall under cathegory C. Just give a Class 3 dealer a call and ask

Here is one:

GOULD, Joseph
Subgun Ordnance
Racine Wisconsin
Shop: (262) 770-9894
Fax: (262) 635-8305
Email: [email protected]

His specialty is machine guns, Gemtech and YHM silencers.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:00 PM
Spike

You could use a .308 with a sub-sonic round to achieve a VERY silent deer rifle. The range and energy will be decreased, but nonetheless, a silent deer rifle you will have. This option certainly wouldn't be hard to do, as long as you have a .308 rifle with a suppressor attached that is.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Spike

[QUOTE=johnshiredman;2548242]Does anyone hunt whitetails with a silencer/suppressor? ,, I can think of a couple good reasons to use one, eliminate noise pollution and hearing damage. I hear people saying it would be pointless on a centerfire because of the sonic crack but I could have sworn I saw a video of a military sniper gun that looked like a 50 caliber and was pretty quiet, the suppressor was pretty long, maybe the sonic boom happens before the bullets leave the suppressor?? I don't know. I didn't hear much when it was shot, just a quick whistle. Probably not the same as what you can buy though.