Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 callling deer in early season and rut? >

callling deer in early season and rut?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

callling deer in early season and rut?

Old 01-08-2008, 07:23 PM

Default callling deer in early season and rut?

anyone got any tips for calling deer in early season and during the rut?
Old 01-09-2008, 09:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: callling deer in early season and rut?

Early season I use doe grunts, a social call. During the rut I'll either do the same or switch to estrous bleats.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:36 PM

u use any buck grunt call?"
Old 01-14-2008, 10:56 AM
Fork Horn

I will use an estrous bleat can and a grunt tube pretty much all season. I use them very sparingly though. Only use them to peak someone's attention if they happen to be in the vicinity of my stand.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 01-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

HERE ARE SOME RULES I GO BY. FIRST: BE CAREFUL OF PICKING YOUR SURROUNDINGS. JUST CAUSE YOU HAVE A GOOD TREESTAND THAT PRODUCES DOESN'T MEAN IT IS THE BEST CALLING SPOT. MOST DEER WANT TO SEE WHAT IS MAKING THE SOUND OR CIRCLE AROUND TO SMELL IT. IF THEY CAN'T SEE BECAUSE THE TREE'S ARE TOO THICK THEN THISCAN ACCUALLY BE AGOOD SITUATION TO SET UP BY. IF THEY COME IN AND CAN CLEARLY SEE THERE ARE'T ANY DEER THERE, THEY WILL FREAK 8 TIMES OUT OF 10. IT IS ALSO GOOD TO WATCH WHAT KIND OF STRUCTURE IS DOWN WIND, AS THE DEER NATURALLY WANT TO CIRCLE DOWN WIND FIRST, THIS HAPPENS MOST OF THE TIMES BUT NOT EVERY TIME. IN THE EARLY SEASON USING SOFT DOE OR FAWN CALLS IS MUCH BETTER THAN A BUCK GRUNT. IN THE EARLY SEASON THEY ARE VERY SOCIAL, I DON'T KNOW WHY BUT I HAVE WAY MORE SUCCESS WHEN I DOE BLEAT. LATE IN THE SEASON IN THE RUT, I TURN TO VERY AGGRESSIVE RATTLING, AND GRUNTING, THOUGH I ALWAYS HAVE A FAWN CALL OR DOE BLEAT HANDY UNLESS I SEE A DOE TOWING A BUCK BEHIND. THE
Old 01-14-2008, 12:20 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11

u use any buck grunt call?"
Sometimes, but not unless I see one.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:55 PM

so use bleat all season and grunt all season?
in what sequences should i do the calls?
Old 01-14-2008, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

yes, the doe bleat or grunt has given me the most responses but not the most aggressive responses. rattling sequences in late rut will have the best opportunity to produce aggressive responses from older deer. for the majority of the year, bucks and does will be curious to just doe grunting. think of it this way, if a buck isn't in his peak testosterone there is a good chance he doesn't want anything to do with other aggressive bucks, but if a doe at any time of the year is saying "me so horny, me love you long time", by grunting to him, he is way more receptive to get some pudy rather than a chance at getting his but kicked in a fight. i think does are more receptive to doe calling due to the fact that they know that a doe won't hassle them for that special something. as for sequences, it is best to not get too loud with doe grunting and don't grunt too often, keep it casual. it isn't so much about sequences but about emphasis, a deer will use tone variations to tell his mood. a fawn may whine just like a kid whines, think "but mommmmmm!" as a child whines, it is like a low to high pitch. all you have to do is go out and do some soft grunts and see what happens, once a doe comes in to your call you will hear her grunting back to reassure your position, it is pretty cool.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:37 AM

how should i call deer in september before the rut?

the peak rut in ohio is november 15-17
Old 01-15-2008, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

calling in september... it doesn't have to be an exact science because all the deer out there are in different moods, one thing may work one day but not the next. i prefer to make it sound like i am making rubs with my antlers, and durring that month bucks are going to be climbing the ranks to see who has first choice on the first receptive does. bucks in september can be very curious to other buck activity. some are not in there peak testosterone yet so if you rattle, test them out and start with light rattling and move on to knock down drag out fighs. i bring all my calls with me and try to keep my calling fresh. a lot of the exact same calling in the same spot can tell deer that something is up. just have fun, try new stuff and learn from it. my favorate call is from "hunters specialties" i can't remember the name "truth" or something? it is rubber. i have tried a lot of calls, this one has produce the best tone, i think it is because of the rubber.

Quick Reply: callling deer in early season and rut?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.