Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Scents, Calling, etc in the late season >

Scents, Calling, etc in the late season

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scents, Calling, etc in the late season

Old 01-07-2008, 11:13 AM
Typical Buck

Default Scents, Calling, etc in the late season

Scent Usage

Now we are in the late season. . .Are you using attractant or cover scents? I tried a setup of Trails End?? #307 setup to get deer to cross in front of me right to left and then put deer dander to my right as a cover scent. . . .and I wear "fresh earth" scent wafers and spray. Wind was left to right. Didn't draw in a single deer!

What do you use for scents in the late season? calling? Are scents and calling really only a peak rut use thing?
Old 01-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Scents, Calling, etc in the late season

Never had any luck with #307 personally, tried the leaf version this year with no results at all. Go to your farm supply store and get some alfalfa cubes, then put some in a large bowl and cover with boiling water. After 1/2 hour or so strain the resulting tea through some coffee filters into a trigger spray bottle. Apply over a broad area to get their attention, at this time of year food is all they have in mind.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:01 AM
Typical Buck

Any other scents which might work well in the late season. . . ?

What do you use during the rut?

Also, anybody use a wheeze call?
Old 01-08-2008, 08:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Since you live somewhat in the same region I do try persimmon scented lure. A few to try would be a corn scent or acorn. During the rut I use estrous lures like most people, though I'll admit the results have been mixed at best. I don't use a snort/wheeze call since it's a very agressive call and I don't want to scare away a potential shot opportunity, I'm not into trophies.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:50 PM

Scents are all you have to count on now. Does that have not been bread during the first
rut will come into estrus again (In fact Three times) 28 days later just like humans. A light
tink 69 or esterus scent is very effective. Sounds should be limited to doe bleat "Can".
There are no more fighting bucks. There are no more grunting bucks. There are though the
bucks that are not "Sexed Out" that are still chasing scents looking for free "late" doe.
Use a sparing Doe Bleat sound with light scent.
http://www.wideworldofhunting.com/soundsofwhitetail/WhitetailDeerSounds.htm