Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 findind spot for food plot? -making food plot?-food plot reccommendations? >

findind spot for food plot? -making food plot?-food plot reccommendations?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

findind spot for food plot? -making food plot?-food plot reccommendations?

Old 12-31-2007, 12:46 PM

Default findind spot for food plot? -making food plot?-food plot reccommendations?

what should i look for when looking for spot for food plot? where is a good spot for one? what is some good plants for me in ohio? how do i make one?
Old 01-01-2008, 09:36 AM
Spike

Default RE: findind spot for food plot? -making food plot?-food plot reccommendations?

i to am from ohio and i am thinking about food plots to. it depends on if you can put it in a woods on the edge of the woods or if there is access to a creek. i am making a food plot along surface ditch banks in the middle of a feild with lots of deer action and it is a path they love to travel but i am expermenting with it and you will probaly have to to. i watched ted nugents spirit of the wild and he said he first was making food plots on public gronud and any where he hadaccess to
Old 01-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: findind spot for food plot? -making food plot?-food plot reccommendations?

You need to be a little scientific about picking a food plot, especially if you are starting with a wooded area that you need to clear. You need to pay attention to drainage, how much light it will get etc. Then there's the farming aspect etc. you should post in the foodplot section, you will get more advice.

I just did a 2 acre clear cut a few years ago and we planted about a half acre now. Clovers brassicas alfarack, several different things. I placed it in the northwest corner of the opening so it would get morning light, which is not as intense. it is also on the bottom (lower corner elevation wise) of the opening so it would maintain moisture, as we can't water it. The sun gets off it mid afternoon before it gets too hot and doesn't wither as easy as it would had I planted in the northeast corner.

Need more Info, are you going to hunt over it or just use it to grow deer and hunt them elsewhere? What time of year/season will you want to hunt it? Different plants reach peak at different times. Clovers and alfaflas are best for bow, brassicas are great late season plots. etc.all these questions answered would be helpful.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:07 PM

where is the food plot section?
can u mix clover, alfaflas, and brassicas togrther?