Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

molasses

Old 12-24-2007, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default molasses

Have any of you guys ever tried molasses with deer because i used it last week and when those deer smelled it they went running to the next county. it was called magnum buck log licker
Old 12-24-2007, 04:57 PM

Default RE: molasses

I was told one day to take an old sock (Cleaned mind you!)and put cut up apples in it and pour molasses down over the apples and hang it from a tree branch... I was told the sweet smell and the drippingsattracts deer like there was no tomorrow...
Well I have to say when I did that there was a tomorrow and it was the day before I hung it from the tree... Didn't see a deer in the area until the following season and that was because I took it down in the spring time!

[/align]
Old 12-24-2007, 05:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Years ago we took a bunch of Clorox and milk jugs and put some molasses in them and hung them from limbs in the woods. Then we took a sharp knife and poked a couple of holes in the bottom. It was cold weather and the syrup very slowly dripped out. Seems the deer were attracted to it, but I can't remember how much.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:12 PM

I can tell you one thing if there is a bear in the area he will find it very quickly. Deer also like it. May take a day or two to get used to the smell.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:19 AM

I tried one of those block toppers this year that has alot of molasses and salt in it and saw little result. Didn't seem to change the deer a bit. After a few hard rains, the deer started licking the mineral block, but I had a camera set up on them and the only time I saw a deer near the block was when they were picking corn out of it from the feeder near by.

Old 12-25-2007, 11:43 AM

I've had some good experiences with it....I had an old log that was about to fall apart laying over a lil ways from a stand, so I saturated it with moleasses a few weeks ahead of time to let the deer get used to it and start using it.....by the time season rolled around the log was just about gone, just chunks of wood.....they tore right through it.

I've always found that, around here at least, the deer need a little time to get used to a new food source before they'll start using it....I've seen a lot of guys dump out corn the day before season and then hunt over it the next day, never see a thing. Most of my corn feeders and mineral pits stay out year round....I just turn the feed rate way down on the feeders during the summer.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

I used molasses once and dumped it on some grain. Well the deer loved it. Only problem I had the deer licked each other and there was grain stuck to their faces. Good thing it was a buck that had to be mounted. The taxidermist would be earning his money LOL

What works good is a plastic jar of Peanut Butter. Nail the lid to a tree, screw on the jar and cut a opening in the side.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

Ditto what matters said here in wva at least where im atif you put out apples or molases you will see plenty of bear most people on our club dont feed because the doggone bears will aggravate ya to death