Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Thick, thick, thick

Old 11-07-2007, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Thick, thick, thick

I've been tracking this buck for the last couple of weeks (ML season) and though I haven't had a shot yet I'm getting close. On Sunday I stumbled on what I believe is the center of his universe. It is off a dry swamp area about a mile into thick bush (poplars, scrub oak, willows, all kinds of underbrush). In this 20 by 20 ft. area I found 2-4x4ft scapes (dug a good 4-5 in. deep) as well as 2-6in diameter poplars that have about an 18 in. section rubbed down to no more than 2 in. in diameter (I really don't know how these 2 trees are still standing). I've got a couple of nice shooting lanes cut out off a little clearing (about 300 yards from my find)(The lanes are about 60 yards deep into the bush of the trail that leads out from the little clearing). I've sat therewell into the night (after legal shooting time...not going to shoot but just wanting to know what time he passes through). He comes though about 2 hours after dark so I think that he is pretty nocturnal. Here's the question......I'm thinking of going deeper into the bush so I will have a chance at him during legal hunting time (He's not travelling far from home during daylight). How close do you think I should chance setting up off his bedding area? He hasn't been spooked so far but just being that wise old buck that has got him this far in life.Any suggestions????
Old 11-07-2007, 09:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Thick, thick, thick

Sounds like he is a great buck and be careful when going into his sanctuary. He might get careless if the rut hasn't started yet and start to roam looking for does. Play the wind on stand selection and be patient. Good luck.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would stay where you are wait for the rut and use scents to bring him in while he's love sick.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:50 AM

Difficult position. You have already entered his core area once so he might be wary. If you wait for the rut he might abandon his core area to search for does. If you try to get too close, he might abandon the area for good due to being spooked. I suggest staying put and waiting for him to make a mistake UNLESS you are certain you can get closer without spooking him.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

i agree with everyone before me.. just wait until the rut and make sure you play the wind right.. if that is in fact his sanctuary chances are he will expose himself there furing daylight hours once the rut has kicked in.. dont be afriad to hunt that stand ALL day either.. if you can toughen it out.. you may just catch him letting his guard down
Old 11-07-2007, 01:14 PM

This sounds like it could turn into a good hunting story.....let us know what happens.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:13 PM

This thread has me on the edge of my seat. I'm dying to see how this plays oout.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was out again tonight for some excitement. The buck came in but turned off the main trail before the clearing I was sitting on. The wind was 10km/hr directly in my face so the conditions were perfect. I heard him thrashing around again about 60 yards or so with thick willows between us. He wasn't coming in so I gave a little doe bleat which he answered with a couple of grunts. He was in front of me at about my 2 o'clock but all of a sudden there was some huge crashing coming directly in front of me and I thought, "holy smokes another buck". 10 seconds later a cow moose with calf in tow came out and hauled *ss about 15 yards to my leftand the buck went back into the thick bush. 5 min. later it was too dark to shoot. Will give it another try in the next couple of days.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:25 PM

You're in GOD's country! I'm working on gaining employment in Canada and if I do........
Old 11-08-2007, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just starting to snow now so I think I'll change up and try Sat. morning. Maybe I'll get him coming back. Just hope the wind is right.

Quick Reply: Thick, thick, thick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.