Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Homemade Wood Tower Blind?

Old 11-18-2007, 08:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default Homemade Wood Tower Blind?

Has anyone here made their own homemade wood tower blind? I would like to see some pictures or tips or whatnot. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2007, 09:55 AM

Default RE: Homemade Wood Tower Blind?

Below are a couple of links I have found. I have yet to build any of them but they could be a good start for you.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jeffreym/htm/Elevated%20Deer%20Shack.htm

http://www.hcdigest.com/articles.asp?ArticleID=47

http://z6.invisionfree.com/almtnman/index.php?showtopic=159&view=getnewpost

The first one has a pretty good description of the process including picture during the process. The second one is from Hunt Club Digest. It has three pics with some measurements. I think the actual article in the magazine has a bit more details but I have yet been able to locate a copy. The third one has no pitures and is simply a set of instructions.

Let me know what you build and how it turns out. I hioe to put up a couple for next year when my oldest son will be hunting with me.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:46 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks mossy, those links are pretty good.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you look around I would bet you could find an aluminum welded tower stand that is lighter, safer, easier to move than a wooden one, will last longerand would be about the same or cheaper in price.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:23 PM

Timbercruiser,

I seem to agree with the use of metal/aluminum in terms that they are lighter, which will allow them to be moved as opposed to wooden ones. Safer? I guess that depends on how they are built, what type of materials used, and how well they are maintenanced.

Would I hunt from a wooden structure that has been exposed to the elements for a long period of time? Probably not, especially if I was not the one or at least involved in it's building.

The question would be, assuming that weather treated lumber and galvanized hardwarewas used, when would it become unsafe to hunt from? What type of maintenance would prolong the life of such a stand? Is the cost justifiable?

I'm sure some of the same questions could apply to commercial stands made from aluminum.

Am I way off?