Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Homemade Deer Popcorn Ball attractant >

Homemade Deer Popcorn Ball attractant

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Homemade Deer Popcorn Ball attractant

Old 11-01-2007, 10:30 AM

Default Homemade Deer Popcorn Ball attractant

Hi, I read in an article that you could make your own deer attractant using microwave popcorn mixed with warm peanut butter. You make balls out of these two ingredients and throw them out near your favorite hunting spot. I wonder if you could mix in some Buck Jam with that for some hitting power? Is popcorn bad for deer? I'm just looking for a bette edge, is all?
Thanks. What do you think.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Homemade Deer Popcorn Ball attractant

I think it's baiting and would not really want to use it any more than I would sit on a box of apples.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:56 AM

Big Papa, I thank you for your reply. In Texas it is legal to use stuff like corn feeders (which we all know is not the healthiest of deer feeds) and different types of attractants. I am afforded only a weekend hunt most years, and therefore need as much help as I can get. Baiting/attracting/plastic does/Doe in heat urines/ all that stuff are made for hunters like myself. Please let me rephrase my question better for everyone out there. Has anyone ever used this mixture of ingredients as a Deer attractant? How do you feel about this mixture. Do you have something that works better than just sitting out in a box hoping something walks by.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Typical Buck

I just re read my post. Damn I came off like an arse. Sorry dude. Didn't mean to blast you like that. If it's legal go for it! I will say that I've heard that deer will go ape over peanut butter and persimons. What the deal is with persimmons I don't know but... I have a buddy that swears buy them. Also, the deer around here love crab apples. Best place to set up is under a good crab apple tree. I've seen deer ignore a forest full of acorns to make a b-line straight for a crab apple tree. ...................Also, now to think of it vanilla extract has been mentioned on here quite a bit too. One more thing is if rut is comming in where you are at hit up some good tink's 69 bombs and a good grunt tube. Again, sorry for being rude in the earlier post.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jennarabellelouie

Hi, I read in an article that you could make your own deer attractant using microwave popcorn mixed with warm peanut butter. You make balls out of these two ingredients and throw them out near your favorite hunting spot. I wonder if you could mix in some Buck Jam with that for some hitting power? Is popcorn bad for deer? I'm just looking for a bette edge, is all?
Thanks. What do you think.
I've heard that this works (I have no personal experience w/it) I will say however that whitetails are one of the most curious creatures in N America. Sometimes I think anything would draw them in. I once knew of a guy who brought a battery power stereo into the woods w/him and turned on a radio station and killed deer every year that came out of curosity. Heck I say give it a try, can't hurt if its legal. My $0.02
Old 11-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Fork Horn

Just because its leagal, doesn't mean its ethical. Why not shoot ducks on the water and turkeys in the roost. Do you home work, scout, ect and hunt, dont shoot deer. Hunt them! I find time to scout and what not even though i work an average of 11-12 hrs a day and sometimes 7 days a week for the military. Thats my opinion on the whole thing.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:54 PM

Cant say I ever tried peanut butter, but I did find some smeared on a stump about 150 yards from my stand, so obviously some one thinks it will work. However I think instead of a popcorn ball, I would say just buy the small plastic containers of the store brand peanut butter. Take the lid off the PB and put a small drywall screw through the lid and into a tree 3-4 feet up, cut the bottom of the peanut butter off and screw the PB back onto the lid, thus making a PB lick. Does it work...sure...will it attract any deer...not sure. Either way if you are going to hunt only two days, i would buy the best doe in heat scent I could find, and make large circle drags around my stand. By large I mean 150 yard diameter circle with you sitting in the middle of the circle giving you a 75 yard shot, if a buck follows your scent drag. Good Luck
Old 11-01-2007, 08:27 PM

My wife decorates cakes as a hobby, so we have leftover fondant that I am mixing with pnut butter and grape kool-aid.

I like the pnut butter lick idea!
Old 11-01-2007, 10:27 PM
Fork Horn

You could probably do a lot of stuff but why not simply buy a 50lb bag of corn for 10.00 or so and a bunch of apples for a grand total of 20 bucks and nothing will work better. The guys in Jersey tell me that reallykills them and its the cheapest stuff available. Not legal in NY where I hunt but I wish it was.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:29 AM

Thank you for your replys to my questions. I think I'm gonna try making some mineral/peanut butter/ acorn balls and see what happens. I'm gonna try the peanut butter lick also. We'll see what else comes inas far as ideas.

By the way, "Leagal", should be spelled "Legal", and PA is the size of my back yard out here in TEXAS. I can't just go out there after work to scout. My lease is 400+miles away. -USN veteran, VA Medical Center Employee.

Quick Reply: Homemade Deer Popcorn Ball attractant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.