Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer hot spot

Old 10-24-2007, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default deer hot spot

I have found a deer hot spot its a winter wheat field. Only problem is dont have a stand looking over this field. I dont want to buy other stand. Any ideas for me?
Old 10-24-2007, 07:30 PM

Default RE: deer hot spot

get a portable blind from wally world and put it in a corner
Old 10-25-2007, 05:08 AM
Dominant Buck

$80 at Sportsman's Guide, comes in woodland colors too and you can customize it. I have the woodland one, got it at a Meijer store, deer will look right at you and not know that you're there.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

I'd try either idea of those fine choices...leaning towards the blind. They make the portable stakes and camo fabric blind that will work if you have a backrest to use, too. The forgiveness you get with a blind when moving or turning around to see what's creeping on your other side is a bonus. If you can, get it out there and stake it down so they get somewhat accustomed to it even earlier. If you're going to try to take him with the bow in late season, I'd stress the blind even further.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

thats why i bought a pop up blind on sale for 39.99 at wally world! used it twice in the last tree years! everything seems to change right as gun season aproaches!
Old 10-25-2007, 06:19 PM

as for the guile I have one but wow they get hot, bugs get in it....etc dont even think of walking in it unless its like 30 below....... nowa days its good for paintball but I dont think Id wear it hunting, my days of laying out on the ground on an op for hours at the time are over....
Old 10-25-2007, 06:26 PM

If its that much of a hotd spot just move one of your other stands from a cold spot over there.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

build a ladder stand out of a couple of 2x4's and a small piece of plywood
Old 10-26-2007, 08:37 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: georgiahick

as for the guile I have one but wow they get hot, bugs get in it....etc dont even think of walking in it unless its like 30 below....... nowa days its good for paintball but I dont think Id wear it hunting, my days of laying out on the ground on an op for hours at the time are over....
Yours must be far more heavily constructed than mine, which is constructed of a lightweight nylon coat and pants with strips of bulap strings sewn to it. It's quite comfortable in the 70-80s, and when I wore it in temp in the 60s I had to wear some things under it to avoid a chill.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:04 PM

ORIGINAL: kevin1

ORIGINAL: georgiahick

Yours must be far more heavily constructed than mine, which is constructed of a lightweight nylon coat and pants with strips of bulap strings sewn to it. It's quite comfortable in the 70-80s, and when I wore it in temp in the 60s I had to wear some things under it to avoid a chill.
I hand made mine back when I was in Korea a few years back, took some old burlap sand bags and treaded them out, found an old cammo net trimmed out a piece that would fit my back and sewed to a set of old BDUs I had, then I took a piece of tarp and used it to to re enforce my elbows and knees because of the crawling invovled, start tying the individual strings at the bottom working your way up, terrain will dictate how thick you make it, and what colors you paint it... then when done take another piece of camo net and sew it to your boonie cap, same thing thread it up, generally thicker for your head. then weave in grass limbs leaves etc when you get to your hunting area....blend it in....

Granted it takes a while, and you can buy one, but this will save you alot of money, and you can take pride in it that you done it yourself.

*note dont sew the bottom down on the net you can leave those free and roll it up to the top of your shoulders if your real highspeed take something to latch it in place on your upper back....lots cooler when walking..