Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dogs running deer

Old 07-23-2007, 10:12 PM

Default Dogs running deer

What do u do about a situation like this. dogs are always ruining my hunting. they have raided our camp while hunting in illinois too. what is there to do with out making the owners mad? Any one else have this problem?
Old 07-23-2007, 10:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Dogs running deer

Its legal here, to shoot a dog if its chasing a deer. I dont think I could do it though. I would try blasting the crap out of them with a paintball gun or something.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

It is interesting that when I first joined the board.....this was one of the first questions I asked. I was told at the time that it had been hashed, hashed and re-hashed. Many topics such as this end up being locked eventually. It is a big problem in my area and I make two distinctions.....are they known feral dogs??? Or someones dogs that they let run and say...." No Way My dogs run deer" . Any dog will run a deer unless they have had excellent training, especially if they are packing with other local free run dogs they can and DO alot of damage at times. We are not here to talk about how to dispatch dogs that are pets...but where does one draw the line?? It is a personal choice, one of which perhaps some or many of us have had to make that call at some point.
All I will say is that I will not watch a pack of dogs run a deer til its heart bursts, or watch a pack of wild dogs hamstring and take the throat out of a fawn...or any deer. Wolves do their thing selectively, Yotes sometimes do and often do not....Feral dogs never do, and [b] dang near any dogs that run in a pack will run deer, even a pack of 6 or 7 neighbor dogs. Unfortunately these are often the most ruthless. Talk to the owners......You will know when the time is there what needs done. Nuff said from this lady......[

And folks...keep this topic decent or it will find its way to never never land.......there is more than enough on this subject in the archives, or if one just does a search. If it has not been deleted cause it got out of hand. Not trying to be a hard butt, just do not need to give Anti's any fuel for their fire here at HNI. Please keep that in mind when posting.
Thanks folks
Old 07-24-2007, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Clarify this, feral dogs or trained deer dogs? Suggest to the ownerof thetrained deer dogs they can easily be strapped with shock collars and this problem won't exist. I have 3 deer dogs that all have been trained with these since they were 5-6 months old. all I have to do is yell for them and they will stop running and come to me. If it is Feral dogs, no ideas
Old 07-24-2007, 06:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Lonewolf, do you know who the owners of the dogs are? If so approaching them first to see if you can work something out if the first option. You say they raid your camp, all edible stuff should be stored away. All situations are different. If any of your group live there, own any of the land you hunt or do you lease the land, etc. I worked out my problem with a simple visit to the owner that owned the problem dogs.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Do waht we do, if you have a 4 wheeler, run the little buggers down.....
Old 07-24-2007, 07:30 AM
Fork Horn

If the problem gets worse, just look at them as yotes and start laying the smack down.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I guess i need to pay more attention, I've been running the woods for 36 years and have never seen a dog or dogs come close to catching a deer. Dunno how many folks are out in the brush in June and July and in a position to actually see dogs killing fawns either. But, i guess that it does happen.
No matter. If the dogs are causing damage and disrupting hunts, then talk to the owners. If you can't locate the owners or they won't cooperate, then send the dogs to puppy heaven.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Down on the farm it is pretty darn rural and the we know the few neighbors dogs. Mostly it is gun hunting there and we don't tolerate the dogs coming thru and chasing deer. Period. We wouldn't shoot the neighbors dogs, but then again they don't let them run free. Other dogs? Too much time and money invested and too little of time opportunities.So we try to immediately dispatch them.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Uncle Matt is the Judge Dredd of southern Illinois[][]

Quick Reply: Dogs running deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.