Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Hunting Contest - Mature vs. Immature Bucks >

Hunting Contest - Mature vs. Immature Bucks

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting Contest - Mature vs. Immature Bucks

Old 05-21-2007, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting Contest - Mature vs. Immature Bucks

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

ORIGINAL: WesternMdHardwoods

The thing that cracks me up is the amountof people that dont live in such places like Illinois, Ohio and such and have to shoot the immature buck..... because we dont have much of a choice??
You "DON'T have a choice"??? Are you saying that someone forces you to shoot every antlered deer you see??? I don't think so. ~~ Now I didnt say that i shoot every antlered deer I see. Personally i will shoot a doe before i shoot a small buck. I am not saying that i havent shot my share of small bucks, but then again i dont think ive ever seen a buck over 120'' in the area i hunt!??

Perhaps you would like a record listing of MD's top bucks! I promise you they rival many of the beasts that have come from the Midwest! [8D]~~ Ok i wanna see it and i will compare it to Ur Illinois top bucks list??!

Show some restraint out there and try to inform others about the benefits of QDM. Good luck and good huntin'~~ I do try to show some restraint, and i wish it was that easy to inform people of QDM in this area! Good luck and good huntin' as well!
Old 05-22-2007, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

[/quote]
That line of reasoning does not hold up at all.

When you pass small bucks to shoot a big buck you are not removing the "best" buck from the herd, you are removing an OLD buck. He has already passed on many of his genes. When you shoot that young small buck(who may have the potential to be a monster) you have just killed the "best stallion" before he bred. It is also highly popular that those who hold out rd management.
[/quote]

Thats not neccessarly true........Now, I'm refering to Mule deer in the West,I have no idea about Whitetail behavior.....
But reguardless, I'm sure it holds true that you could be eliminating a "BEST BUCK" you could be eliminatinga Buck in its its "PRIME" reguardless of the sub_species........
I've personally shot 3 dominate bucks that have grossed in the low mid 180's and I was floored to find out these deer where maybe only 4 yearsyears old....This isnot"OLD"considering where talking about British Columbia....
And it could be his first real year of breeding lots of does......
Now don't get me wrong,I agree genes get passed on,but its also a fact that dominate bucks don't chase after the does, they let the does come to them..
This leads to the question,what bucks do does most of the breeding......
In actual fact, its probably the 3 year olds that do the majority of it....
Proper deer management, starts with shooting the week genetic ones early in the season, before the rut takes place..
eg.Big 2 points, (ones over 20 inches wide), Bucks that are 4x2 (and are over 20' wide)..
Young 2x1's and very small spikes are ones that should be targeted.....
As much as I consider myself a trophy hunter, I've have resorted into killing a couple of 2x2 bucks over 25" wide and 1 4x2 that was just under......
Bucks like these will not grow any more points,and will affect the genetic quality of the herd and being that big, will breed into the herd...
These are ones you definately want to eliminate before the breeding.....
If you want QUALITY BUCK HUNTING, you have to be will to shoot these type of deer and be willing to pass up onfirst and second year year 4x4's 5x5 altogether.....
If your into deer management,I question going after the "OLD" ones during this time,cause mistakes like mine can and often do happen......
Leave the Prime ones alone during the pre rut and rut, let them do some breeding, Then go after them....
To be on the safe side, end with shooting the really "OLD" ones at the end of the season.....
Old 05-22-2007, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Jeff Ovington
Now, I'm refering to Mule deer in the West,I have no idea about Whitetail behavior.....
[/quote]
I'm referring to whitetails in the east, and my statements apply to where I hunt. a 4.5 year old buck is "old" and a rarety and believe me he has already bred the previous 3 seasons.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

ORIGINAL: Jeff Ovington
Now, I'm refering to Mule deer in the West,I have no idea about Whitetail behavior.....
I'm referring to whitetails in the east, and my statements apply to where I hunt. a 4.5 year old buck is "old" and a rarety and believe me he has already bred the previous 3 seasons.
[/quote]
If thats the case...Dude..
I feel sorry for you ....

Old 05-24-2007, 03:23 PM

Look, if someone wants to shoot a small buck, let 'em!!!! Hunting is not just about a damn rack!!! Some people hunt for the meat and couldn't care less. The only reason people want the big racks out there is for the competitive attitude. They want some big bucks running around so they can out-do everyone. Well, guess what???!!!! I know that some does running around the woods are far smarter than any buck. A rack is not an accomplishment. It's a false sense of pride. Because there are many does, does that make them easier? No, it just makes them more numerous and seemingly easier. If there were as many big bucks running around as does, would they be as amazing? Do you see what I'm getting at? This way, it's more of a challenge to shoot a giant buck. Isn't that what you want, a challenge? Or do you just want a big rack? I watch these crazy hunting shows where everyone shoots a big old buck and it gets sort of old. IfI shot a big deer every year, I would get bored of the sport.

What I'm getting at is that we need to just let people kill what they want.A deer is still a deer, no matter how small it is. I, personally, don't shoot spikes or fawns. That is where I draw the line. I would rather harvest a big old doe than some small buck. However, some people don't feel that way, but I say let it go. The more spikes killed every year, the greater the challenge. There are still just as many deer, there just aren't as many big ones.

Furthermore, some parts of the country hold smaller deer. In my parts, a 100 class deer is pretty decent, due to lack of habitat and lots of hunters, but there are still plenty of deer. With some countrywide competition, you are going to come up with greatly varying results.

I would love to kill some big old buck and I would probably show it off, just like everyone, but we need to allow the public to kill what they prefer and be happy for them. Hunting shouldn't be some competition, NOR, should it be about killing. It should simply be one's own idea of a good time outdoors. I love to watch deer, just as much as I like harvesting one. Last year I shot a big old doe, who was at least several years old, and a great challenge to harvest, and used my buck tag on her. She was hard to get but the next day I could have shot a big 8 point at ten yards---a gimme shot to say the least. Now which deer should I have been prouder of?
Old 05-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff,
Sadly that is the case. We just have way too much hunting pressure around here and people with itchy fingers.

outdoors lover
A rack is not an accomplishment. It's a false sense of pride.
Which furthers my point that some people ONLY shoot a buck just becauseit IS a buck. It's not the "rack hutners" who put too much emphasis on what too shoot, its the guys who have to say "I got my buck".
Old 05-24-2007, 03:39 PM

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Jeff,
Sadly that is the case. We just have way too much hunting pressure around here and people with itchy fingers.

outdoors lover
A rack is not an accomplishment. It's a false sense of pride.
Which furthers my point that some people ONLY shoot a buck just becauseit IS a buck. It's not the "rack hutners" who put too much emphasis on what too shoot, its the guys who have to say "I got my buck".
That is quite true, good way of putting it!!! I suppose some people will simply shoot a buck because it IS a buck, but, still some shoot it for meat. I guess it depends on the person.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:42 PM

I think the bottom line, the golden rule that everyone should adopt, is simply, shoot a doe instead of a small buck, do you agree?
Old 05-24-2007, 06:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I feel that way, with the exceptions of 1st timers, and guys who's circumstance may only afford themany shot at a buck every 3-4 years, then have at it. But guys who shoot one (or more) every year or almost every year just to say they do, should learn a little self restraint, or pop a doe.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

I think the bottom line, the golden rule that everyone should adopt, is simply, shoot a doe instead of a small buck, do you agree?
i tottally agree that is my rule shoot does and mature bucks and let the 1 1/2 2 1/2 and some 3 1/2 walk.

Quick Reply: Hunting Contest - Mature vs. Immature Bucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.