Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mock Scraps

Old 05-19-2007, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mock Scraps

Mock Scrapes have been a VERY effective tactic for putting P&Y class animals under my stands and in my shooting lanes every season. I've experiemented with many of the commercial drippers and such but THE most effective tactic and scent that I've EVER used is by simply applying James Valley Scents Gel on over hanging licking branches. Not ony my own in the field observations have proved this tactics effectiveness but hundreds of tralcam photos have confirmed it. One cashew sized application on a licking branch will have bucks tearing up the mock scrape for over a week.

The most attractive scnets I've used are Wall Hanger and Lethal Weapon Gel. I begin establishing my Mocks in Aug and by Sept I have photos of potential shooters. I have traditionally found though that the PRIME time to hunt mock scrapes generally occurs earlier in the season then most hunters realize. My best/largest bucks shoow up on the scrapes between Oct 18 to 24. Good luck and good huntin'
Old 05-19-2007, 03:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

This is my home made pee dripper. They work as well as anything else.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:59 PM

BEST INVENTION EVER MADE FOR HUNTING IS THE SCENT DRIPPER. IF I CAN KEEP THEM FROM BEING STOLEN. I'LL HUNT OVER 10 OR SO MOCK SCRAPES A YEAR. IT BRINGS THEM IN. KEY IS TO MAKE SCRAPE UNDER LICKING BRANCH AND HANG DRIPPER WELL ABOVE BRANCH SO IT DRIPS ON BRANCH. GETS THEM EVERY TIME.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the help guys! I can't wait to get out there!
Old 05-23-2007, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

What does a dripper usually contain?
Old 05-23-2007, 12:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

A dripper usually contains doe in estrus pee...It could also contain dominate buck pee...

I have had good success by using real scrapes and either keeping them fresh by pouring in a half bottle of Tinks or a half bottle of Tinks powder...I have also made a scrape right beside the original and peed in it....

Here are two quick stories...We have an old logging trail that runs beside one of our fields about 100 yards in the woods...I go in there 3-4 days before I plan to hunt, hang 3-35mm film canisters with a cotton ball down the trail and pour in some Tinks...Usually there is a scrape under one particular holly tree...If there isn't one there, I make one, I then pour a half bottle of Tinks in and leave the area...When I return to hunt, I drag a rag soaked in Tinks while I walk in...A couple of years ago I killed 3 bucks in two afternoon hunts by using this method...To date, either I or one of my buddies have killed 11 bucks doing this out of the same tree.

Another field always has a scrape under one particular tree limb...I freshened up that scrape one Sunday afternoon and hunted the field on Wednesday afternoon...About 30 minutes before sundown 9 does entered the field, walking right over that scrape, one stopped and peed in it...They fed for about 10 minutes...I heard a loud grunting sound back in the woods...A nice 9 pointer popped out of the woods and put his nose in the scrape, he began running does, trying to find the hot one....They took him out of my sight and I thought they were headed into the woods, I grabbed my grunt tube and imitated the loud grunting sound that I had heard....The does headed my way and ran right by my stand, as they ran by I was counting them, sure enough he was bringing up the rear....A 100 gr CoreLokt from my .243 dropped him on the spot....One of the most exciting hunts I have ever had.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Antler Addict hit it on the head. You have to have a licking branch. I myself will hang a tarsal gland on the licking branch. I then use dominate buck urine on the tarsal gland (tarsal glands are available to purchase at some sporting good stores). If you cant find them at stores, go to the meat processor who butcher deer. I will make a large round scrape with the tarsal gland and licking branch above it. Then I will add Tinks 69 and doe droppings to the scrape. I usually make around 10 different scrapes. Mock scrapes really do work. Ive killed quite a few deer while hunting them...