Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mock Scraps

Old 04-30-2007, 04:18 PM

Default RE: Mock Scraps

When you make a mock scrape be sure there is a licking branch above it. Without one the scrape will not be effective. As Huntmdown said, the Buck Fever Synthetics are great for getting one going. They have a gland scent you spray on the branch and the pre rut mild urine to put in the scrape. I've been making mock scrapes and doctoring up existing scrapes for years and they are interesting to watch.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

"May try that. What size drill bit so I don't have to go by trial and error and
smell like doe pee?"

About 3/32nds or 1/8th inch.Fill the film can with cotton balls andpour in about one ounce of doe pee mixed with buck bee.Hang it from a branch. Pour someof the buck/doe pee in the scrape. The can drops a few drops in 24 hours and makes him think that another buck is hitting on the does in his territory. This will often drawa dominant buck out of a nocturnal mode and make him visit the scrapesin the day time. Bend over another small branchand tie it so he can rub his face on it. i've seen them actually sniffing at the hanging pee can.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

They are hit and miss. One thing I think you have to make sure of is that there is a licking branch over the top. These situations have always been more productive for me. The nuttiest thing that ever happenned to me with a scrape (I usually try to hunt a scrape line), was one day I had to pee so bad but I didn't want to pee out of the stand so I climbed down and peed right on a buck's scrape and then messed it up with my rattling antlers. A nice 5x5 showed up about an hour later and he went just nuts!!! Snotting and scaping like wild. It was just at the beginning of the rut so I think he was just running stupid and I was very lucky. Dropped him where he stood. It happenned only once but was cool to see.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes, they are hit and miss at best. It is best to find a real scrape and hang a dripper filled with both buck and doe in heat pee.iv'e watched a few as they sniffed their scrape that i doctored:They go nuts. A friend killed a 186incherchecking a doctored naturalscrape.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I made one behind my house 4 years ago. They still beat it up to this day. I use Bob Kirschner's Silver Top Gel and just drop some in it once a week or so. By the next day, they tear it up. I've seen bucks and does in it and have video of both a small 6 point and a larger 10 that would score 130-140 working it over.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Antler Addict

When you make a mock scrape be sure there is a licking branch above it. Without one the scrape will not be effective. As Huntmdown said, the Buck Fever Synthetics are great for getting one going. They have a gland scent you spray on the branch and the pre rut mild urine to put in the scrape. I've been making mock scrapes and doctoring up existing scrapes for years and they are interesting to watch.
Ditto.. same here, I've used buck fever synthetics since 98.

Application is key...Make sure you are clean ...any time you visit amock scrapebe meticulous about your human scent. I like the drippers for the simple reason they do the work for you. Leaving human odor on the licking branch or near the scrape itself is the reason why so many mock scrapes go bad.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:05 PM
Fork Horn

I have been wanting to try the mock scrap, I do have a dripper by Wildlife Research Center. How do you get in there and tie it with out disturbing anything? Would it be easier to get a hook up ina tree then just use a stick or something like it to put it on it for less disturbance?
Old 05-15-2007, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Last season i tried a mock scrape for the first time. I put it out and came back an hour later with my stand, and it was all tore up with some big tracks. I got all excited and put my stand up. For the rest of the season nothing touched it. I had a deer-cam in front of it too and got nothing. Some scrapes down the trail a little bit got some nice action, but mine wasnt touched. I guess its just hit or miss in my opinion.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use the "thermal" drippers (Wildlife Research). They work by the heating and cooling of the container by the temp change from day/night. I found they used scent too fast so I plugged the ends and drilled an 1/8" hole and the scent would last for weeks. That way you can stay away from them longer. The thermal drippers are also great because they only drip in during the day. This helps to get the deer coming to them a bit more in daylight than in the dark. Deer know fresh.

Gotta remember that a scrape site is where a deer will be using it's smell to it's fullest extent so the recommended rubber boots (and gloves) areA MUST!

Good scrapes include the recommended licking branch and the site should be chosen to include a good licking branch.

I use a pair of the "extended pliers" (you know what I'm talking about? the kind you use to pick trash and stuff up with so you don't have to bend over) to place my bottles pretty high up in the tree. I use big fish hooks to hang them.

If you really want to see what your set-up is doing - game cam the site.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Johnny one trick I do when doing mock scrapes is i will find a real scrape on another property and take a large garbage bag and place it over the branch and cut it off. Then tie it to where you are going to make your mock scrape and remember to where rubber gloves and rubber boots. I find the smell of different bucks in the area makes them really curious. Walt

Quick Reply: Mock Scraps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.