HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Can I see some pics of homemade ground blinds? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/174902-can-i-see-some-pics-homemade-ground-blinds.html)

Arsnik23 01-12-2007 11:00 AM

Can I see some pics of homemade ground blinds?

I have been hunting only twice and both times have been from the ground...does anyone have any pics of a homemade ground blind? Any help would be great!! Thanks!

Lewy

Red Lion 01-12-2007 11:50 AM

RE: Can I see some pics of homemade ground blinds?

I'd post a picture of the portable blind that I made a fews years back, but do not have a picture of it. What kind of blind you talking about? Or are you just interested in pics of any homemade blinds?

Arsnik23 01-12-2007 03:04 PM

I will take what I can get...I mean like cutting up brush and branches and whatnot...I am new to the sport and I want to look at my options on the ground since I do not own a tree stand yet

Red Lion 01-12-2007 03:11 PM

You can buy a portable blind anywhere from about$30 up to the expensive Double Bulls for $400. The $30 ones are fold-out 3-sided ones that you set-up facing the direction you expect to have deer appear, but do not give total cover. More of the tent-type blinds like Ameristeps, Double Bulls, etc...give 360 concealment.
You could also buy some camo fabric, 4, 3/4" poles and make a portable blind that you offers better concealment than the $30 dollar variety, yet still portable.
Or, you can find the spot(s) you plan to hunt and build a few blinds out of available material (wood, brush, etc...).

Arsnik23 01-13-2007 10:06 AM

do u know where i can find some pics of the fabric and brush made blinds?

humblehunter 01-13-2007 10:32 AM

I made a ground blind that I really like. I'd show you the picture but I'm not going to drive 400 miles and take a picture of it. So I think I'll just describe it. You get 4 cedar poles long enough as you want it to be tall. If at least one of them is a tree that's in the ground it's better. Then you get 4 more posts and nail them as high as you want your shooting rest to be off the ground. Then 4 more posts and put them on top of the original posts to make the roof. Then make a roof out of cedar poles and put a tarp on the top. To camouflage the blind get some of that camouflage fabric and hang it off the shooting rest on all four sides. Small evergreen trees can be placed in front of the fabric on all the sides except for the doorway. To further camouflage it get many evergreen bows and put them on the roof and overhang them in front of the windows. Now get a nipper and cut out all the ones that hang down to far so that you can see.

Good luck deciphering my post and building your blind.

metaldonnieg 01-13-2007 11:37 AM

you can get those sheets of camo burlap at walmart for pretty cheap right now

skeeter 7MM 01-13-2007 10:30 PM

You can make them with the camo burlap or surplus camo netting and tie it between trees, fencepost or even to dead fall. If you prefer4 pieces of angle iron for posts then tie strap the material to the angle iron. You'll need to leave 12-18" of angle iron below the material to pound into the ground. Spruce it up with natural cover such as branches, etc. I make natural ground blinds out of logs or deadfall then add branchs or better yet spruce balms to the logs for more cover. Burlap or camo netting would also work on the inside of the logs or deadfall.

With that said I have invested in a few pops blinds that work very well and are extremely easy to setup. Not the best out their but have served the purpose for me for the last few years. Mine are the ameristep doghouse (picture below) and you should be able to find them on ebay pretty reasonably.

For a more permanent setup I build box blinds with 2x4 frame and then wrap them in carpet (juteback out). I get the carpet from carpet installers and wood from my bro in law from demo jobs (contractor) at no charge. My costs are a few cans of spray paint for the juteback/camo paint job and hardware items - very cheap. Problem is they are not portable at all!

skeeter 7MM 01-13-2007 10:37 PM

Picof one ofthe carpet box blinds I built.

willysguy 11-07-2014 07:23 AM

Hobo hanky pocket blind

Here's a link to the Hobo Hanky blog where they talk about using the hobo hanky to make a pocket blind. They include pics.

http://www.hobohanky.com/blog.html

FYI, the hobo hanky is basically a giant bandana but printed in a camo pattern. It can be used millions of ways for camouflage, warmth, comfort, sanitation and so on. I think one of the cleverest uses they list is the pocket blind. I'd buy it and carry it just for that, all the other uses would be a bonus.

Originally Posted by Arsnik23 (Post 1875836)
I have been hunting only twice and both times have been from the ground...does anyone have any pics of a homemade ground blind? Any help would be great!! Thanks!

Lewy