Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need some deer-stand plans

Old 12-28-2006, 04:46 PM

Default Need some deer-stand plans

Hey guys,

My name is Andrew, I'm 18 and I'm from Minnesota. I recently bought some land and I want to put up a deer-stand there (place is infested with wildlife.) I know deer season is gone now (at least here unless it's with a bow I believe) but I want to get started on a "treeless deer-stand" to use next hunting season so it's all ready to go.

I want to build something along these lines:

I have pretty basic carpentry skills, I've never done anything fancy like build a house or anything, but at the same time it's not like I've never touched a hammer either. I want to build the deer-stand out of pretty basic lumber, plywood, OSB, and possibly some treated stuff (like maybe the supports so it slows down the rotting process in the ground.)

So I'm just wondering if anyone here might have some deer-stand plans they could share with me, or maybe even a personal how-to/DIY guide by yourself. I think building a deer-stand for the most part would be pretty easy for me personally...

The only thing I'm having trouble thinking of is how I would design the supports for the deer-stand. I obviously don't want it to collapse on me and I want it to hold a signifigant amount of weight. I want the deer stand about 8 feet or more above-ground.

If anyone could share with me how to effectively and safetly create a good support structure for holding the deer-stand in the air, I would really appreciate it!

Thank you,
Andrew
Old 12-28-2006, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need some deer-stand plans

wow , your 18 years old and buying hunting land , good for you. i have no plans to offer you ,but just sit down and draw what you want then build it
Old 12-28-2006, 05:37 PM

Heh, well it's only 2 acres but I think that's good for starters. It's a wiser thing than buying and going through new cars like all of my buddies do (I think at least.)

My idea for the deer stand is just something pretty basic with a box on top of the supports, a small door, wall openings, and a roof of course. I guess I could actually design it as I build it because I could always change things.

Like I said, I'm still pretty confused about how to do the supports correctly. If I were to build a small structure on the ground I'm sure I could do it without a problem.
But since this deer stand is going to be in up there in the air, I want to make sure I do the supports right, the last thing I'd ever want is for it to come crashing down. I don't really know what a good structure-safe way is to build the supports or how to do it effectively.

Old 12-28-2006, 06:46 PM

Here is a rough plan I made:

Old 12-28-2006, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

$10 ish seems reasonable:
http://www.deerhuntingstandplans.com/Tower.htm

I'd also google for plans on the internet. I remember seeing somewhere about how to use wood 4x4's for angled uprights, and pre-made brackets to do this for you.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

You can get brackets for wood uprights at cabela's:

Shadow Hunter Blind Elevators
http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0028480416685a&type=product&cm Cat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&No=20&noImage=0&Ntt=tower &Ntk=Products&QueryText=tower&Ntx=matc hall&N=4887&Nty=1
Old 12-29-2006, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I run a construction businuess.For putting posts up we usually dig a hole with a posthole digger about 4 ft deep, set your post in the hole and level it up, take a bag or two ofcement mix and dump in around the bottom of the hole, you can dump it in dry, the ground water will eventually turn it intocement.Fill the rest of the hole back in with dirt and tamp the hell out of it.It wont be portable but if your only on 2 acres you probably wont be moving it much anyway.

Run a 2x10 stringer around the posts, just attach the 2X10 to the posts withlags untill you have the outside of the posts completely boxed in.Then you can put youre floor in.Id use some 2x6 joist hangers, put them every 16 inches or 2 foot whichever you prefer.After you have the hangers attached you just drop your 2x6 into the hanger and nail it, much easier then trying to hold it up by yourself and attach it and will hold better.Your ready to plywood the floor now.Whichever plywood you decide to go with Id get some maxi bond or other type of glue and put down between the floor joists and plywood, since its outside the flooring will eventually loosen up and become squeaky if you dont.Then you can build your walls and roof in whatever design you want.

If it still seems shaky after the floors in just cut some 2x4 that will run at angle from the bottom of the 2x10 to the post on the other side part way down.Wish I knew how to do designs on the computer, It would be much easier to describe with pictures.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

This might give you some tips.I have not used it personally but have also been looking around since I will be putting up my first this year also!! It should at least help with ideas. I will be going 20 feet high for my floor though at least and may possibly go with 4 of the smaller sized telephone poles for my bases.

Link: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jeffreym/htm/Elevated%20Deer%20Shack.htm

Old 12-29-2006, 05:40 PM

Hey guys, I read everything you've all posted, and I want to thank each one of you for the advice and responses.

@petasux: I can't design very well on the computer myself. Do you happen to have any pictures to kind of help show what you're describing as far as the supports go?

@Fletch:
the idea of using telephone poles is brilliant, you can't get any better wood-wise. The only problem is: where do you get telephone poles from? The electric company, the county?
Old 12-29-2006, 05:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Lowe's or Builder's Square carrys 6 inch post. I built my sons a standing tree fort only using 4 x 4 s 15 years ago.I still climb up there and shoot my bow from it in the back yard. ...and I'm a big man. 6" post should be fine . Level them bad boys off and pour in some ready mix concrete.
C7

Quick Reply: Need some deer-stand plans

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.