Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Windy Day To Hunt?

Old 12-19-2006, 06:27 PM

Default Windy Day To Hunt?

I have been hunting for few years and everytime there is windy day (5-15 mph), I almost never see deer. Do deer move during windy day even during rut season?

Has anyonekill deer during windy day especially in southeast USA?

I plan to hunt tomorrow but it may be 5-10 mph windy..

Deafhunter
Old 12-19-2006, 06:35 PM

Default RE: Windy Day To Hunt?

I have killed in windy conditions before, be sure to use the wind to hunt facing the wind, also, hearing game approach is a little bit more difficult.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

5 to 10 is about right to hunt in my opinion. A steady wind is your best friend.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:55 PM

I like to hunt in a dead wind or a slite breeze but i do agree that the deer just do not move as much when it is windy like this past weekend my friend hunted my stand and saw about 45 deer when the wind was dead but i saw only 8 with the 15-25 mph gusts the next day Ive been told that the deer do not like to move as much if they cant here things approaching which the wind kind of restricts.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am not a fan of hunting in the wind either, but my son killed his biggest deer to date on the windiest day of this season. I tried to talk him out of going, but his mind was made up. We went, and he scored. It was the peak of our rut (mid November), and the wind was blowing 20-30 mph out of the north. We actually saw more deer that hunt than we had been seeing.

Old 12-20-2006, 02:32 AM

Nice buck!.. Thanks for info and I am on the way & will let you know if I have any luck today..Off I go at 4:40 am EST..

Deafhunter
Old 12-20-2006, 06:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

5-10mph isn't much of a wind to be hunting in IMO. I dont' see too much of an effect on deer movement untill it reaches 15mph+. And deer will be moving in a hurricane if it's duringthe rut [8D]. Good luck.

p.s. try some still hunting if the wind is really blowing.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:48 AM

I think that seeing deer when it is significantly windy out will largely depend on what kind of terrain that you are set-up in. I actually saw more deer when windy out and I was hunting a box stand in a 60 acre plot of pine trees, with fairly thick under brush. I think that deer will look for areas/cover to get out of the direct wind.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:59 AM

Default RE: Windy Day To Hunt? & Stray dogs!

I came back home with no deer. Have not see one yet..The wind was on & off about @10-15 mph. Will go back this afternoon..

HERE'S ONE PROBLEM.. what would you do if you see stray dogs running around? Thats what happened this am @7:30. Thats makes me mad. I believe that dogs will scare deer awayfor awhile. Am I wrong about the dogs? (they are not hunting dogs)

Deafhunter

Old 12-20-2006, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Windy Day To Hunt? & Stray dogs!

It's gets windy a lot, here in Kansas. It normally doesn't effect them much, unless it's real windy and cold at the same time. Then they tend to stay in areas which have heavier cover, like Cedar Trees, and not move as much. Just my experience, as it'd probably be different depending on the area of the country you are hunting.

Quick Reply: Windy Day To Hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.