Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mineral Licks??

Old 12-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Mineral Licks??

When, Where, How and what to use??

I have one on my property that the deer use but its not in a good spot becouse a fourwheeler trail runs right through it and i want to make a new one.

Does anybody have any luck hunting over them??

Are they good locations for Trail Cam's??

Do any other animals use them, do Does use them??

any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 12-05-2006, 02:53 PM
Spike

Default RE: Mineral Licks??

I've placed mineral licks out in the past. I have never hunted over them. The deer did seem to visit them quite frequently even when they were desolved....Noticed more use of the licks near and during the spring months and that might be because the deer are depleted, especially the pregnant does. I do think they are a valuable supplement, but would not solely depend on them to consistantly take deer.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:56 PM

This is our experience for the past two years. Recognize that we are in Mississippi and what we see may occur several months earlier in your area, depending upon how far north you actually are.

For the past two years we have placed 8 good size licks on our properties. Allot depends upon the site. We have a couple of sites that get little or no attention. Several others get absoloutly torn up, actually digging holes several feet deep and several feet around. We freshen them up every quarter or so in the spring and summer. We also put out some salt blocks with similar experiences. Apparently some groups of deer like it and others could care less.

In the areas where they really hit it, they start paying attention to it in the early spring and the activity tends to culminate in August and September. As October rolls around, the sites are rarely visited. This is confirmed by numerous game cam pics. We get more activity on the salt licks during August than the summer fields. In november and december, they totally ignore the licks in our area.

So, you could probably bow hunt over one, if it were legal, but by the time gun season kicks in, they are pretty much done.

Good luck

Hank
Old 12-05-2006, 03:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

what kind of lick are we talking?
Old 12-05-2006, 04:26 PM

i have bought a 50 pound salt block at tractor supply and just cut it in half then place somewhere in the timber behind my stand. we have one my dad and unlce put out about 10 years ago and the rut/hole the deer have paw/dug out is about 7 to 6 feet wide and 2-3 feet deep.....i think deer like um If i were you i would use em why not? there cheap mine was about 5 buck for a 50lbs block
Old 12-05-2006, 04:50 PM

We use a bag a trace minerals from any feed store. Dig up a spot and mix it in the dirt. They will wallow it out to a huge hole. They can smell it pretty well. You could put it off to the side of where the traffic is, they'll find it.