Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 neck shot vs. shoulder shot??????? >

neck shot vs. shoulder shot???????

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

neck shot vs. shoulder shot???????

Old 12-01-2006, 08:58 PM

Default RE: neck shot vs. shoulder shot???????

I as well believe that a "vitals" shot is the best shot for a kill shot.

A shoulder shot mainly hits the scapula (shoulder blade), and may cause the bullet to fragment severely not allowing penetration into vital organs, or arteries.Yes this does mean that the bulletfully transfers its energy into the animal, but will mainly cause tissue and bone damage.This will handicap a deer, but not necessarily kill it.

A neck shot is even more difficult to ensure a kill shot. A neck shot will only kill a deer if it severs and aretery/vein, colapses the trachea, or contacts the spinal column and thereby spinal chord. All these anatomical features are closely spaced, and a very narrow target to hit.
As you can see in the following picture a deers spinal chord is nearly centered within the neck musculature. This needs a very well placed shot to hit.

I personally only use neck shots as a final, point blank finishing shot for a deer that is already downed, and unable to stand.

Like many have stated the large area behind the shoulder ensures a large killing region, large numbers of vital organs that when damaged are lethal, and the thin tissue layers and ribs allow the bullet deep penetration.

I vote Vitals.

Old 12-02-2006, 12:38 AM
Typical Buck

Lung,heart,best found high shoulder shot produces minimal tracking like none. Top of shoulder shots produce such trauma to spinal column even if not hit but from concusion 9 time outa ten drop on the spot especially at close range. As Jim Shockey would say them shots produce bang flops
Old 12-02-2006, 06:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

i've never had a problem with neck shots and nobody i know has, in fact those shot in the neck tend to drop right away instead of 20 yrds away after their lungs fill with blood
best found high shoulder shot produces minimal tracking like none.
This is where I get confused I guess. What the heck is the difference? You have to walk an extra 20 yards to your deer that's dead? Seems like this logic is used a lot with the reasoning for neck shots. "They drop in their tracks". Do people just like saying that statement. Is it a thrill to see them flop right where you shoot them? A macho thing? Tell me there is more to the neck shot than not wanting to walk an extra whole 20 yards to retriever your deer. God forbid you actually have to follow a bloodtrail that Ray Charles could find if you double lung/heart shoot a deer.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

Over the past 3 seasons I've done 5 neck shots and have decided not to take them anymore. They're too easy to botch and create misery (I consider myself only lucky to have made a couple of the shots I took[:'(] ).

I'm going back to heart/lung shots. Easiest shot to place and quite predictable...maybe bang flop, maybe they run a bit...minor details.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

i've never had a problem with neck shots and nobody i know has, in fact those shot in the neck tend to drop right away instead of 20 yrds away after their lungs fill with blood
best found high shoulder shot produces minimal tracking like none.
This is where I get confused I guess. What the heck is the difference? You have to walk an extra 20 yards to your deer that's dead? Seems like this logic is used a lot with the reasoning for neck shots. "They drop in their tracks". Do people just like saying that statement. Is it a thrill to see them flop right where you shoot them? A macho thing? Tell me there is more to the neck shot than not wanting to walk an extra whole 20 yards to retriever your deer. God forbid you actually have to follow a bloodtrail that Ray Charles could find if you double lung/heart shoot a deer.
Instant gradification!![:-] Though a botched neck shot is rarily talked about on public forums, I know it happens b/c have seen it many times.

I pride myself on being a pretty good shot. I actually enjoy shooting my weapons be it gun or bow, so I don't run a few into a target and call her good before each season. I have little doubt I could hit the spinal column (which should be your target on a neck shot) with regularity with my ML and rifles as I can punch sub MOA groups with them before I call it good to go. Though under field conditions on a target that is small,moves and having had to chase down someones slightly off shot, I personally choose not too take this point of aim.

As to the shoulder shot, it is highly effective and much more forgiving. Even if you only get one scapula you will get lung damage via bone or bullet frags. But at this point it no more effective then behind the shoulder vital shot, as the deer will scamper on most occasionswith only one wheel turning up front.So thereforeon broadsideI see no reason to take the high shoulder shot over the classic vital shot.

mistah, maybethe canucks realize this because our bucks have head on shoulders so picking out the spinal column can be a little tougher. Nah it is probably b/c our big deer are wussy's seeing they all die just fine with the lung shot out with my explosive NBT loads...lol! BTW congrats on your fine looking whitetail this year. SE aren't you, around Qu'appelle???
Old 12-02-2006, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

mistah, maybethe canucks realize this because our bucks have head on shoulders so picking out the spinal column can be a little tougher. Nah it is probably b/c our big deer are wussy's seeing they all die just fine with the lung shot out with my explosive NBT loads...lol! BTW congrats on your fine looking whitetail this year. SE aren't you, around Qu'appelle???
Skeeter, I think you're right on, as usual. A BT through the lungs is about the best deer medicine out there.

Yeah, got a dandy buck this year...he's a personal best. I was only shooting antlers and didn't want anything less than 150's. As a bonus, it's the best venison I've had to date.

I normally hunt near Parkerview but I got this guy around Spiritwood. It's a heavily hunted area but the genes are surprisingly good....I'm going back for sure!
Old 12-02-2006, 01:09 PM

yep neck is the last option for mealthough you should be ready to take it
my elk was running behind a down fall this year and all I had was a neck or spine shot took the neck shot first missed put the second on his spine
droped him at about 175 yards. Second shot a 4 point white tail in the neck with a 12g slug at75 yards on the run, there to had to only shot.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mistahmojoryan

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

Skeeter, I think you're right on, as usual. A BT through the lungs is about the best deer medicine out there.

Yeah, got a dandy buck this year...he's a personal best. I was only shooting antlers and didn't want anything less than 150's. As a bonus, it's the best venison I've had to date.

I normally hunt near Parkerview but I got this guy around Spiritwood. It's a heavily hunted area but the genes are surprisingly good....I'm going back for sure!
No sheet I have a cabin at Big Shell and have hunted that area for years. This years was the worst yet for hunters!!! I guess being pretty close to toon, earlier season, doe tags and words getting around big deer at spiritwood = more pressure. Where abouts from Spiritwood were you hunting, may I inquire?? Not looking just curious..lol!
Old 12-02-2006, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heart lung area for me,I always want to transverse the chest cavity.Hey when they don't drop right away and they take off as if they are on fire it just add's to the thrill of the hunt!Just think about how happy and relieved you are when you find them!
Old 12-02-2006, 02:26 PM

shoulder shot, cause if u hit them in the shoulder u break the shoulder and hit the heart or lungs and they cant walk cause their shoulder is broke!

Quick Reply: neck shot vs. shoulder shot???????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.