Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting Standing Corn Crops

Old 11-25-2006, 05:19 PM

Default Hunting Standing Corn Crops

Anyone got some tips on hunting standing corn?

I have located a nice 5x5 whitetail that looks to go about 150+ but he's holed up in a 1/2 section (about 300+ acres)of standing corn. It has a few small willow ponds, and a couple of bluffs contained in it. Its bordered on 3 sides by grid roads, and harvested grain fields on the 4th side.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thnx CW
Old 11-25-2006, 05:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Hunting Standing Corn Crops

Stalk him . Find a nice wet windy day. Start at the begining of the field with the wind in your face and go slow. When you think you're going slow enough for moss to start growing on you.... slow down some more. Poke your eyeballs up and down each row as you cross them. I love still hunting standing corn.

Old 11-25-2006, 05:55 PM

Thnx for the tip. I should mention that this crop wasn't planted in rows (random seed cast by looks of it). So seeing down a line is nye impossible.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:09 PM

No rows, huh?? That corn was never planned on being cut.

You can either still try what NYBH suggested, or walk laps around the 300ac. and maybe find a good ambush point. If that doesnt work you could always wait for a really dry, windy day and burn the whole darn thing down.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try a little late season scouting and use the binos to see if you can pick
up on his travel routes to where hes bedding or feeding,pick out your
best ambush spot put up a natural ground blind wait him out!
Old 11-25-2006, 08:43 PM

get in your truck and chase him around shooting at him lol is what i woud do is sit on one of those bluffs and wait for him orgo the harvest grain field and call him in
Old 11-25-2006, 10:13 PM
Typical Buck

If you can place a stand or blind in a strategic spot maybe he'll come close enough for a shot, you know maybe where he enters or vacates.There is always the possibility of a deer drive??? Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:45 PM

Thanks to everyone for their ideas. Will update progress when I get a chance to get out again.

Old 11-30-2006, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

I was in a stand on the back side of standing corn earlier this week. The farmer was about to shell corn and you could see orange in all direction around that field. Deer will stay in the corn and not move much if pressured. They are not afraid of farm equipment at all. By the time he was done I saw several nice bucks and countless doe run out of this corn. It took him 2 days to shell that feild and the deer stayed in the corn until they had no more than a few rows left. Just my luck they all exited the corn away from me. and ran to another field of corn. Go figure.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dont drive him,youll gut shoot him for sure and loose him.He cant stay in there forever,find the nearest water and find the run hes using to get to it.Then follow back 50-75 yds.Hunker in for a long wait,youll get him.

Quick Reply: Hunting Standing Corn Crops

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.