Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

410 slugs for deer ?????

Old 11-20-2002, 08:12 AM

Default 410 slugs for deer ?????

Anyone used a 410 slug for deer ? I hear MANY conflicting stories so I am looking for info. I want to buy one for my boy to use and trying to determine to get a 410 or a 20 gauge. I know the 20 is better overall - but I hear stories of the 410 being quite a good round - others say it sucks.... ??? Im confused and seeking advice from those who have experiance. I am a bowhunter at heart...so Im not sure.

Tom
Old 11-20-2002, 08:37 AM

Default RE: 410 slugs for deer ?????

I would recomend going with the 20ga. Like you mentioned it is a better all round gun. And your son will get more use from it.

The 410 is a pretty good shot gun load but in my experiece there have been some short comings with it.

Loads, long range shots, and the fact that mine was a single shot did'nt help, but I have'nt seen many other 410's?

Happy hunting!

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!
Old 11-20-2002, 09:36 AM

A .410 slug is closer to a rifle than a 20 guage slug. A .410 slug is much faster and flatter shooting. With a scope or just a seasoned shooter, The .410 is a good gun to start off with. Now, you just asked about deer hunting. The 20 guage is a better all around gun especially if you hunt waterfowl. For the 20, you can get a box of steel shot for less than 10 bucks whereas you will pay a pretty penny for a box of bismuth for a .410

RYAN SMITH
Old 11-20-2002, 10:23 AM

410's are illegal in some states. I'ld go with a 20 or 16 gauge you won't notice much difference. If its for your boy then get him a junior gun.
Old 11-20-2002, 11:29 AM

I am ONLY using the gun for deer hunting. He is only 10, and very small framed so I was worried the recoil of a larger caliber would turn him off or may cause him to flinch.
SMITTY - Who makes a GOOD 410 slug gun ? A single shot is FINE and prefered actually. What are the ballistics of a 410 ? Accuracy & range ?

Thanks !

Tom
Old 11-20-2002, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would say the 410 will be fine for him. When he gets old enough for a larger gun you can upgrade to the 20ga.
The 20ga. is probably a little much for him and could lead to a fear of shooting that gun, flinching, and/or an unenjoyable time at the range.

Plenty of deer have been downed by youngsters shooting the 410.
I would recomend mossberg or new england firearms. They both make fine guns. The NEF would be a single shot and goes for around $80.00 . The mossberg is a pump, and has porting in the barrel so it won't kick as much as a normal 410.It also has a smoother trigger pull.
All slugs may shoot a little differnt in a particular gun so try severl brands before settling on one. A winchester shoots about a foot to the left in my mossberg, but a federal slug shoots just right. Some will group tighter than others too. Or you can put a scope on the gun and sight it in to the specific load you choose. Make sure you use rifled slugs if you shoot a smooth bore.

-Ray

"Hey ya'll, watch this"
Old 11-20-2002, 12:58 PM

eightwgt,

Make sure that you first check your state regs to make sure it is even legal. Here in MO and many other states it is illegal. From my understanding the 410 lacks the power and range to make it a good/first choice for deer.

If you'd like further info, here is a link to www.huntamerica.com (a similar discussion). They list some ballistic comparisons between the .410 slug and other centerfire cartridges.

http://www.huntamerica.com/wwwthread...b=5&o=&fpart=1

You said that you would only be using this for deer, why not a small caliber centerfire? Are you in a "shotgun only" state? If not and recoil is what you are trying to avoid, a rifle chambered in a pistol caliber is also a good choice. I have a Marlin chambered in 45 Long Colt. Even my hottest handloads have less recoil than a .410 and carry nearly 3X more energy than the .410. Without a doubt I will use it out to 100-125 yds. Not to mention the new Marlins come with a hammer block safety making them much safer than the older models which only relied on the "half-cock". A rifle in 44 mag would also be a good choice as the recoil is also minimal. The good thing about the 44 mag, when compared to the 45 LC, is it was built to operate at higher pressures, meaning a greater availability of "hotter" factory rounds for the guy that doesn't handload.

Like I said, here in MO, it is illegal so I have no personal experience with the 410 slug but after ready the comparisons you may not even want to consider it. I wouldn't.

Hope this helps,
Toby
Old 11-20-2002, 01:04 PM

Then .410 will be fine for your son as long as it is legal. I didn't know it was illegal anywhere. My first gun was a .410 and I harveste a few deer with it until I moved up. My dad would only let me use a single shot back then but I also now have a pump action now as well.

Old 11-20-2002, 04:11 PM

Well a 410 is a nice guna for a kid to start with thats what i started with, but the only thing is i didnt get to hunt deer with it, the year i truned 12 the legal age in PA they outlawed 410s for deer hunting. so i just use it as a squirell gun, but i would go with a 20 guage if you are going to get an all round gun for both big and small game.
Old 11-20-2002, 04:22 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: 410 slugs for deer ?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.