Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 why is it so expensive to go to a hunting lodge! >

why is it so expensive to go to a hunting lodge!

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

why is it so expensive to go to a hunting lodge!

Old 11-21-2006, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default why is it so expensive to go to a hunting lodge!

im looking to go on a trip whitetail hunting for a few days, in illinois or kansas or ohio, and the prices are insane, the cheapest i could find was like 2k, and some prices were even at 5k,
why are these places so expensive?
i know i wouldent want to spend that money unless i knew i was gonna get a big buck
Old 11-21-2006, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: why is it so expensive to go to a hunting lodge!

Because people will pay it. Supply and demand.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:28 PM
Typical Buck

The belt region in AL has great hunting, and relatively less cost than some other places. It might not be worth looking into.

I've always wanted to hunt the belt region, or MT's rivers valleys. However, I take more pride in shooting a smaller buck herethat I worked for than paying to hunt for a big buck.

The only consolation for me if I go on a deer hunting trip is the hunting/travel experience as a whole. Meaning, enjoying the outdoors in an area I typically would not get to hunt without some help. Getting a buck would be a bonus.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

i know i wouldent want to spend that money unless i knew i was gonna get a big buck
Well there are always guaranteed hunts. Just set your stand up close to the fence.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:50 PM
Fork Horn

That's exactly why they charge so much; some people will do almost anything to "get a big buck".
I like watching hunting shows on TV, but what I DON"T like about them is the whole BIG BUCK thing. Like anything that is less than 3 1/2 years old and less than 150 BC points just isn't worthy of being harvested.
IMO (and I know not everyone agrees) this whole movement to QDM is not all that good for hunting in general. The reason is that it puts too much emphasis on getting the big buck (at any cost) and takes away from the simple pleasure of the hunting experience -being out in the woods with friends, kids and family, sitting around a fireplace or campfire, harvesting an animal that will provide food for months to come, etc.
Not intending to start a war here, but just answering ABarOfSoap's question - - and got carried away a little.

Old 11-21-2006, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

harvesting an animal that will provide food for months to come
Wha? Not the way we eat 'round here
Old 11-21-2006, 03:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Heck man...They have to breed them, feed them all those minerals, plant food plots, rub down their coats every night, put a radio transmitter on them, erect the fence, take them to the vet when they get an ingrown toenail...You aren't just killing a deer, its a 5-8 year investment they have in them, then you come in and kill their "pets'...I mean deer....

That kind of hunting isn't for me...I have more respect seeing a hunter that can consistantly bring home the meat (buck or doe) with a bow or a muzzleloader (flintlock of course) than one that goes on some of these canned hunts...If that's your thing, have fun, its not my style of hunting...Some where along the line some of us have forgotten why man started hunting to begin with...These guys are all about making a buck...

While I'm at it...And I mean no disrespect to anyone, I love hunting with a passion, even if I don't see a deer, I enjoy my free time in the woods more than ever in my life, and I'm 51, have hunted since I was 7-8...But...If your life hinges on whether or not you "score" on a big buck, you need to get a life...There should be more important things going on in your life than just hunting....

Old 11-21-2006, 04:24 PM

if you wanna kill a big buck go to high adventure ranch in Missouri. I went there last year they cook you breakfast lunch and dinner home cooked great food. i went elk hunting and killed a 5x6. I dont know if they are the cheapist but they are very nice people. they have some MONSTER deer there. www.highadventureranch.com
Old 11-21-2006, 09:10 PM

person... Hey you came down to the ranch huh?? So I guess you met Monty?? Hes part of my wifes family,, and yes they are nice people. I live very close by, and they do have some really nice looking animals,, if your into hunting a place like that, not my cup of tea, but to each his own.Did you have your elk mounted? Did you let the taxidermist they use do it?? He is a very good friend of mine and the ranch keep him very busy all year, he get probably 2/3s of his yearly business from their clients, and does an excellent job.Yes if you wanted to "get a big buck" it would definitely be the place to do it, but not really my idea of fair chase.

The reason most are so high, is because of the high prices of leasing enough land to have an outfitting business, literally thousands of acres, along with keeping food plots, (look at the prices of planting some of the name brand seed blends, with upkeep,lime fertilizer) quality and safe treestands, not to mention food, insurance, and paying the guides who are scouting and hanging stands,, and they have to make a profit, or they wouldnt be in business,, and lastly, because people will pay it.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:16 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Abarofsoap give me a shout. Rich

Quick Reply: why is it so expensive to go to a hunting lodge!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.