Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 why is it so expensive to go to a hunting lodge! >

why is it so expensive to go to a hunting lodge!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

why is it so expensive to go to a hunting lodge!

Old 11-22-2006, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: why is it so expensive to go to a hunting lodge!

To anyone that downgrades going on a hunt with an outfitter than you haven't been on one. We went to New Brunswick Canada the first week of November. Had a great time. Met some great people. Ate some amazing food and saw a lot of deer. I would definitely recommend going to anyone that wanted to hunt hard, all day, for large whitetails where theres no guarantee. Head to Lindsay Sporting Camps in Millville NB. The guides were great people and did everything possible to get their clients on some game. And it was definitely an opportunity. From where I come from you shoot what you see. As I am getting older I'm starting to be more selective and had to pass up some deer in NB (my choice). I had an idea of what I was looking for. We couldnt be happier and will definitely head back there. Heres a pic of what we were able to harvest. We spent roughly $2000 (trip, lisence, diesel)

Old 11-22-2006, 02:42 PM

None of the outfitters I know have "canned" hunts including myself. I outfit in Kansas and as said earlier, there are leases, feeders, cameras, scouting, gas, foodplots, insurance,and guides to pay. $2000 IMO is cheap. If you are going to another state to hunt then you already have a lot of money invested. Airfare or gas, price of tags/licenses, time off work. Why would you not hunt with an outfitter who has done extensive scouting and managing for large deer in order to get you as close to them as possible. Nothing is guaranteed even when hunting with an outfitter. The best we can do is get you on the properties where the big bucks live. The rest is up to you and mother nature. I think it is a good investment if you are after a large buck.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:57 PM
Typical Buck

I don't see a problem with using an outfitter who helps by doing all the above if you can afford it. If I could I would. What I wouldn't do is go to one that has you hunting in a 12 ft. high fence. That there isn't hunting.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:43 PM

Well, that is an interesting question. Here are some thoughts.....

First of all, I am not sure what a "licensed" outfitter is. I suppose that is something legislated by state governments other than TX. (I have talked with theuser here on this site...."huntquest", and Iunderstand that is the normal thing in Colorado and maybe some other states as well).

If the government ever tries to impose that (licensing)here in south TX they are going tohave trouble. This is our property and they will NOT LEGISLATE IT AT ALL. What we do here is OUR business and no one else's.

Our ranch is just over 10 sections(6900 acres) andhas been in this family for justover 115 years.

About 7-8 years ago, we switched to hunting for our primarybusiness as opposed to raisinglivestock. However, we do still maintain a herd of spanish/boer goats for taxreasons.

Our primary business is EXOTICS....aoudad sheep, texas dall, mouflon,painted desert, merino,barbado,fallow deer,red deer, elk, varmints, all thefish you can catch,.....etc.

We have thousands ofaoudadand we practically give them away to hunters (flat fee of $400 bucks...no matter how big). Why??? Because they SERIOUSLY get in the way of our whitetail hunting.

We also have a largepopulation of hogs. We trap around300 per week in the winter months (not to mention what hunters harvest). And yes, we sell them by the pound to meat buyers.

Now to the question of "canned hunts" (mentioned above). I am not sure if I understand that one either (other than an obscenely small pasture).

Go hunt in New Zealand! That is the most "maintenance free" "high fence" I have ever seen. At least I have never seen a whitetail deer swim in the ocean. And no, I do not agree with someone fencing a few acres with eight foot fence and hunting that.

We have high and low fence here. We are high fenced on three sides of this ranch.....a little over 10 miles of fence.

Why do we do that? Because we don't want our neighbors (15 acre hobby farms that were once big ranches....now cut up into pieces)harvesting our deer.

We are in the business of growing big deer. It is as simple as that. We feed protein year around without exception. We have 11 food plots as well. And we run an intensive management program.

Now the question of price.....

For a semi-guided exotics hunt(we drop you off and pick you up at hunting locations withno guide sitting with you), you will spend $50 per day with us. That ismeals and lodging included.....and we do treat our hunters well!!Look at our lodging facilityon the website.Then add a modestkill fee on top of that $50. Go stay at a Best Western and eat three meals a day for fifty bucks!!

During whitetail season you will be fully guided. I.E. one of my employees/guides will besitting with you at hunting areas, visiting with you in the evenings, driving you around the ranch,taking you to and fromto S.A. airport, cleaning yourharvest, caping your animal,etc etc.....a full service deal (including daily maid service). Sorry, no chocolate on the pillow for 06-07as of yet. That is going to cost you $150 per day plus kill fee.

If you harvest a 150 class whitetail you are going to spend around 5 grand here. 200 inches and up is going to start at 9 grand and up. That is simply how we do it. Cull bucks start at $250!!

And to boot....it is not unusual to be here for three or fourdays and not see a darned thing.

Why is it so(or not so)expensive?

Pay for feed, electricity, guides, chef, fuel, airport transportation, employee salaries, etc ,etc ,etc....

There you have it.

Hope that helps you with your question.

best of luck