Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Coyote

Old 10-20-2006, 12:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default Coyote

I am hunting the edge of a clear cut, and on one side of it a buck has been making some rubs, and there has been alot of deer sign. If I shot a coyote with my rifle how bad will it mess up my deer hunting. But there are a ton of yotes around and they need to be thinned out. I think I would have alot more deer if we kill some yotes.. any suggestions...
Old 10-20-2006, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Coyote

Man, you just never can tell what will happen. If the deer are close to coming out when you shoot a 'yote, they may wait until after dark. Or it may interrupt their pattern for a day or two. On the other hand, they could come out a few minutes after you shoot. There are so many variables and unknown factors that it's kinda hard to say.
BUT - if they coyotes need thinning, and you get a good shot, you might be doing a real good thing for the herd for years to come.
I think I might be inclined to shoot one if I got the chance. If it's hanging around the immediate area of your setup, the deer might shy away anyway, and you won't see them that day. If I shot one say, 30 minutes before dark, I'd leave it lay until after dark - don't come down before that and maybe spook off some nearby deer.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:24 PM

Look on page two of this forum and you will get some good answers. I asked this question last week and got some good advice.

KILL THEM ALL!!!!!
Old 10-20-2006, 04:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Cleetus

Look on page two of this forum and you will get some good answers. I asked this question last week and got some good advice.

KILL THEM ALL!!!!!
I had rather shoot a yote than a deer ,I saw a fawn ,what was left after ther were ran off .It was not pertty .
Old 10-20-2006, 09:54 PM

I have had does under stand when my hunting friend shot 50 yards away.The does paid no attention to the shot.Deer hear thunder alot probably get used to it.