Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

HOW TO KNOW IF YOU HIT A DEER

Old 10-15-2006, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: HOW TO KNOW IF YOU HIT A DEER

Thanks for posting this it really helps!
Old 10-15-2006, 11:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Uh oh. Time for some more practice huh?

As far as was it 25 yards?30 yards?35 yards? I always wantsome sort of positive natural range markers like a weed patch or specific branch in my shooting lanes. But of course those are not always readily available. So then I tie gift wrapping ribbon on branches or even surveying sticks to assure correct yardage calculations at 20/25/30 yards.

Good luck and ......... "Wack 'em good so you ain't gotta track 'em good!"
Old 10-15-2006, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot plenty of deer i dont need more practice i have never had this problem thats why asked if anyone had any experience with this
Old 10-15-2006, 01:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cowboy4513 .........it sounded like a thud not really a pop or a slap but i heard a definte thud...........
Misses donot make thuds.Is your arrow maybe sticking in a tree trunk?
Old 10-15-2006, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

i know what hitting a tree sounds like it was a hollow noise and since there where no trees behind him, so dont be a smart ass im asking for help and feedbackthats why i jumped on the forums and asked for feedbackfrom other hunters
Old 10-15-2006, 03:21 PM

There isnt any reason to be calling names. You came on and asked for opinions and uncle matt gave you one. In all the other forums im in you wouldnt last long acting like that.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

cmon man you dont think that it was disrespectful to tell ask me the way he did by quoting me then asking if it was in a tree trunk, cmon that just reaks of sarcasm if it wasnt i apoligize if not i stand by what i said
Old 10-15-2006, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

How did the deer run after the second shot/

Tail tucked?

Hunched up or normal?

fast or slow?

Old 10-15-2006, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shot a doe yesterday, I knew it was a good hit, shoulder. She bled very, and I mean very little, for the first 75 yards. It was all I could do to track her, and I have killed a lot of deer, but she was the first that didn't bleed good. At least at first, after 75 yrds it looked like someone exploded, blood everywhere, 20 yrds farther there she was. I have shot deer that didn't appear to react, at all, then the boiler started unloading.
cowboy - I know things sound sarcastic sometimes on the computer but they are trying to help. Go back and microscope search. Find leaves turned, look for specs of blood, etc. If you missed, and if you hit, FIND YOUR ARROW. The arrow tells it all. If you missed, it should be there, if you hit and had pass through, it should be there. If you hit the deer and the arrow didn't pass through, find the arrow. I know this sounds like I am harking on finding the arrow, cause I am. If you can't find anything start calling your friends and get a grid search started. If for nothing else, just to find the arrow, but someone will find blood if you hit it. Hoep it helps
Old 10-15-2006, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

thank you very much nctaxi and windwalker it ran fast not hunched up and tail was up thats why i think i missed and the area that i was at it is very grassy and i had the wrong colored fletchings for it so im going to have to go in the morning with a metal detector, and i went out tonight to look again and i thought i saw the same buck but i could have been mistaken because most of the gentecis out there are all the same.