Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Trim off the fat?

Old 10-10-2006, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default Trim off the fat?

Hey all,

I'm thinking of doing my own processing this year, to save money and to get the meat the way I want it. Question to those who process their own: Do you trim off all the fat you possibly can? I watched the deer processing video that was available here for a while and saw him peel the fat of one of the cuts. What say you? I need opinions and input, as this will be my first time doing it. Thank you in advance!

Old 10-11-2006, 12:52 AM

Default RE: Trim off the fat?

Yah remove the fat cause it just becomes tough when you cook and also try to get off as much as the silvery film that covers the meat too cause it tends to give the meat a more gamey taste to it.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Venison fat is not very tasty. I trim every bit off that I can.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:42 AM

When it comes to deer meat, if its white, cut if the heck off!! You can allow a little bit (I don't allow much though) of the white stuff if your grinding the meat into hambuger. If its steaks or sliceing the meat into jerky, cut the white stuff off. Its tough to chew, its not tastey, it takes away from the flavor of the vension. I only have experience with whitetails. Other big game animals may be different.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don’t care for the taste of fat from deer. I take as much off as possible. I would rather have a combination of pork fat and meat mixed in with the ground meat for sausage or hamburger meat. Just my personal preference...
Old 10-11-2006, 09:33 AM

get rid of the deer fat and i like a 1 to 5 ratio of deer meat to beef suet. makes for good frying but not enough to have to drain it off. it doesn't overpower the deer flavor like pork. i like the taste of the deer.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:40 AM

I will spend as much time as needed to get all the fat off while butchering my deer. I also debone my deer as well. Just quicker than cutting the bone all the time for the steaks...i don't have an electric saw.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Agreed fat and silver skin goes. In deer I like pure meat for steaks, anything else hits the grind pile for jerky or sausage.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:56 AM

i got hot dogs made one year. holy cow. yummy.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

Get rid of the fat. I was told by a butcher once that it doesn't freeze properly and can freezer burn your meat, It also tastes bad. Also, as some of the others said, cut all of the silverish membrain of your meat as well. GOOD LUCK

Quick Reply: Trim off the fat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.