Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What do you use to check the wind direction when hunting? >

What do you use to check the wind direction when hunting?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What do you use to check the wind direction when hunting?

Old 08-20-2006, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default What do you use to check the wind direction when hunting?

I keep seeing these TV hunting shows and the little bottles that squrit something out to show which way the wind is blowing. What are these things called, where do I get one? I'm trying to figure out the wind before I set up probable stand locations and these things would be a big help.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:53 PM

Default RE: What do you use to check the wind direction when hunting?

I have a piece of thread tied on my bow sight and it will show the lightest breeze.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WIND-Checker-POWDER-Breeze-INDICATOR-Hunting-SCENT-FREE_W0QQitemZ130016163467QQihZ003QQcategoryZ52506 QQcmdZViewItem

I'm a little closer to you now. I live in SW Roanoke out past Tanglewood. Just moved a few weeks ago.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:09 PM

I guess it doesn't help any that the item has ended. Here is another type of windchecker I have seen..

http://www.windchecker.com/photos.htm

Its pretty neat.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:27 PM

sand

-Travis-
Old 08-20-2006, 05:34 PM

baking soda you can put it in a small bottle and squirt it into the air. it works great
Old 08-20-2006, 05:39 PM

I think you can find that stuff in most "hunting" stores.
It's just a small plastic bottle with a dropper style head that isfilled with fine, un-scented talcum powder or chalk.

That other stuffthat "ducsause" is talking about is extra fine polyester fibers. That's a little harder to find. I've only ever seen it at Cabela's, etc.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use baking soda as well to judge wind direction........
But I alsocarefully watchcloud, and brush and tree movement movement in the distance.......If clouds,grass and branches aren't moving in the direction of wind it is almost certainly prevailing....

Old 08-20-2006, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a disposable cigarette lighter.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:07 PM

You can get them at an outfitter but, another way is to get a small Elmers glue bottle like they use in Kindergaden and fill it with baking soda, flour, powdered chalk, powdered sugar. Basically anything that is a very fine powder. I mainly use chalk and I don't leave home without one. Also another thing you need to think of when setting your stand up is that the way the wind is blowing today is probly going to be different then November. We mostly have wind from the S, SSW, SW, WSW or W during this time of year but come late October, November, and December it is mostly out of the WNW, NW, NNW, and N. It may be different in Virginia though. Good Luck
Old 08-20-2006, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Brandon1423s

baking soda you can put it in a small bottle and squirt it into the air. it works great
Same here. You can get them at any outdoor store for a few bucks. Last many seasons/

Quick Reply: What do you use to check the wind direction when hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.