Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New Hunting Laws for Indiana

Old 08-16-2006, 09:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default New Hunting Laws for Indiana

I noticed that they changed a bunch of laws this year.
They made it easier to know just how many does you can kill in each county, and there is NO statewide bag limit for does, you just have to respect the county quota. and if u wanna go to another county, you can!

There is a new YOUTH season this year... September the 20-something'th...it lasts for 2 days... anyone under the age of 15 can harvest a doe in a 2 day period in september.

IF YOU KNOW OF ANYMORE NEW LAWS post em up here!

I guess we already know about the proposed rifle hunts... hope it goes through!
Old 08-16-2006, 11:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New Hunting Laws for Indiana

Im thinking this is also the final year for the five year trial period of the one buck rule. im wondering if it will go thru again.
Dan
Old 08-17-2006, 07:14 AM

in that youth season dont you have to be with an adult or something? whats this about the rifle hunts? i havent heard anything about them.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:13 AM
Typical Buck

This may not be new this year, but this is the first time I read that a hunter can take either sex deer with a crossbow in late archery season.

I stillthought it was doe only.

I don't have a crossbowbut I was just looking for new stuff kinda like you.

As far as the rifle, I'm also trying to find outaboutit.
What I've heard is that they're trying to make it legal to hunt with pistol cartrides in rifles.

That's all I know

Hope it goes through!

Old 08-17-2006, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Well I dont mind the one buck rule. That is fine with me. But to bring in rifles. I havent heard about the rifles until I just read the post here. Me I would be against it. IMO I just feel that there are enough hunters out in our gun season, now to give them a rifle to use that travels great distances. I understand slugs travel a long way but not like a rifle. To me wheres the sport at shooting a deer 300 yards away. I dont get it. Someone enlighten me please. To me I want to be up close and personal with the animal. What they should do is cut down the gun season period. Maybe we should have a gun season like Illinois. Lets face it there would be bigger bucks if we could keep some of them alive to see maturity. Every state around Indiana is known for the harvesting of bigger bucks. Wheres Indiana fit in all of this. No where. Were on the short end of the stick. No Im not a DNR specalist. Im just a Indiana hunter with different concerns about the wildlife and how its being managed. In one weekend during the firearms season, I counted over 420 shots that I heard. Thats absurded. The state is going to do what they want to do anyway. No matter how many of us dont like what their doing.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Arrowmaster

To me wheres the sport at shooting a deer 300 yards away. I dont get it. Someone enlighten me please. To me I want to be up close and personal with the animal.
All you shotgunners keep bringing up these 300-500 yard shots. I've been using a rifle for deer here in Texas. My son and I have harvested 8 deer, and our longest shot has been 115 yards, and shortest was 10 yards. But, if a once in a lifetime buck showed up 200+ yards away, what is wrong with having the option to reach out and touch him?
Old 08-17-2006, 11:00 AM
Typical Buck

Arrowmaster.
I agree with a lot of what you're saying. Too damn many hunters and shots. There's another thread that I started on this same subject in the deer hunting section and here's one of my resopnses to a similiar thought about distance and where's the sport in those long shots:

"I'm not saying that I want to go out with my Model 70 300 Win mag and bust one at 500 yards. Long range shooting doesn't really turn me on anyway. Just personal preference! Maybe it's because I'm not that good of a shot past 200 yards!!!!

What I want isto be able to bring out what I call my cowboy rifles.
I've had dreams about grabbing one of my 94's (like my 44 mag or 30/30) and go out and bring a nice buck, or doein and take a nice 50-75 yard shot onem and watchem fall!!

I just don't really like them saying NO RIFLES because they shoot too far when my Encore M/L will out shoot either of my above mentioned rifles by 100 yards or so."

My .02 buddy!
It's good to hear from another Indiana deer hunter that thinks there are a bunch of trigger happy fools out there!!!
Old 08-17-2006, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Yes lovethebigguns there are way to many hunters and shots. Yes there are definetly hunters who are trigger happy in our state...

Ipscshooter for one Im not a shotgunner. I only hunt deer with my bow and Thompson center muzzleloader. As for reaching out and touching a once in a lifetime deer isnt the point here. If you want that once in a lifetime deer earn it and hunt the buck. I see no sport in shooting one that far out. I have a 150 class buck hanging on my wall. I didnt have to get a rifle and shoot it 200 or 300 yards away. I earned it by working for that buck. I shot him at 10 yards. The state of Indiana has tons and I mean tons of so called deer hunters, who shoot up the woods like crazy. It sometimes is scary walking into the woods. Everyone has a preference on hunting and I dont share the same views as rifle hunters. No one will ever change my mind about it.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:03 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

I believe the one buck rule was actually already extended this year, for one more year. The 5th year was 2005. Most seem to like this, including me. Not sure why they don't just make it permanent.

In any case, I am buying insurance, by moving 6 miles west into Illinois. Waiting for my lifetime license now........heehee. No more need for me to fret about IN OBR repeal.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:08 AM
Typical Buck

The thing about the youth season, yes you have to have an adult with you (over 18). The thing about the rifles...... They arent talking about the 300-500 yard monster guns, they wont let us use those =] Theyre talking about rounds thatll shoot consistently up to about 120 yards or so. Nothing big dont worry. I could shoot much much farther with a good muzzleloader. now days with a good shotgun you could pull off a 200 yard shot, because theyre pretty much just big rifles anymore. So dont even worry about the rifle ammo theyre considering to let us use, its all smaller stuff. Pistol ammo

Quick Reply: New Hunting Laws for Indiana

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.