Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Filming a hunt

Old 08-18-2006, 11:27 AM

Default Filming a hunt

Some of my friends and I are planning to film some of our hunts this season and I have a few questions for those of you that film hunts. First, what is the best way to place stands if you don't have a two person stand? Any other tips oradvice would be appreciated.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Filming a hunt

If you dont have a two person stand you're going to need a tri-pod. No, it doesnt have to be camoflaged, scentlocked or say Team Realtree on it. It needs to be able to be compact but also able to telescope out tall enough to be in your stand. your camera needs to be as user friendly as possible. You may want to keep it on a wide angle if you are hunting by yourself. You can take another person but the more people the more noise. Also, if your camera beeps when it turns on, dont worry about it. I've turned my camera on and off with in 15yds of deer and it doesnt bother them.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:36 PM

We usually will let the hunter set up just like he would if he were by himself. Typically, the cameraman will be higher and to the hunters right about 90 degrees. By the cameraman being higher, it completely gets him out of the way of the shooter. By angling the stand to the hunters right, it allows the cameraman to film the hunter over his left shoulder, which is much easier than trying to film to his right. {If he's right handed} You want to be as close as possible to each while still being far enough apart to not be in each others way. If you get too far apart, you cannot communicate well enough to know what's going on. Also, I really like to filmout of a stand that has a rail all the way around it, such as a Summit Viper or the original Ol' Man stands. This allows me to move around the tree and still be comfortable and safe. As a videographer you need to be able tofilm360 degrees around you and be able to do so while moving smoothly. Alot of variables go into getting good film, but the number one thing is being steady. If the camera work is shakey, the film is complete crap, regardless of what you caught on film.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:29 PM
Typical Buck

The cameraman usually sits higher than the hunter ( as shaftnem explained ). You should check out Cambell's Outdoor Challenge if you get the Men's Channel. The show is a competition about filming hunts. I think there's 4-6 teams that do their thing and then each team is scored on their hunt. A lot of cool and wacky things are caught on film. It's one of the most interesting show's I've seen around. Really cool! They go over quite a bit of the information on the show. People can also send in their hunts and try to enter hunts and be on the actual TV show. Takecare and good hunting.