Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Homemade Stands

Old 08-14-2006, 12:13 PM

Default Homemade Stands

do you guys have any suggestions on making stands yourself? i dont have the money and i have stuff laying around that i can use. any suggestions or drawingswould be great.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Homemade Stands

Years ago I use to nail steps to a tree and build myself a platform in the fork of a tree. Then either build a seat on the platform or put a bucket on the platform to sit on. But ya have to remember those stands need maintained. I got by that way for years. Not the safest stands but if careful will get you by in a pinch... Now we construct ladder stands on one of my buddys land. These stands are anchored to the tree and ground. Those cost around 75 dollars to build...
Old 08-14-2006, 05:19 PM

Arrow master you are crazy. There is no way I would do that, we had a kid the other day that died when he fell 30' from one of those he was building.

As far as building a stand, exactly what do you have, this will determine what you can do. I have a good way of building them, I just need to know what you have.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:51 PM

i have a bunch of plywood and 2x4s, i have some steel too, just let me know what you do and ill see if its possible.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:22 PM

ok, I will draw some up and get them to you. It may be towards the end of the week if that's ok with you.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:48 AM

ya that will be fine, i just need help with the designs.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:17 PM

My dad used to make homemade ladder stands.

Use 2 long 2x4's for the ladder with 2x4 rungs. Build a platform to stand on ...say 3'x4', make sure to cut a notch out of the back of the platform to sit against the tree.Hewould alsoplace 2 2x4's fromt he underside of the platform down to the ladder for strength.A couple of eye bolts and ratchet straps to hold it in place.

One tip. Put the platform a couple of feet lower thenthe top of the ladder to aid in safety of climbing in and out.

Don't forgetyour safety harness !!!!
Old 08-15-2006, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is no way you should hunt from wooden stands. If it's not treated it wont last. If its nailed to the tree the nails will pull out as the tree grows. They need a lot of up keep that most people just don't give.

You can buy stands that are cheap and dependable. I hunt from a 15 foot ladder stand that's 49 dollars. You cant hardly buy the metal for that cost.

I use a Lone Wolf climber that's pricey but worth the money.

Old 08-15-2006, 05:01 PM

I do agree as long as you are talking ladder stands. As far as box stands go, if you have the lumber already it is cheaper to build one. I have both built and bought, the cheapest bought stand that I have was over $400 and it is a 4x4 10' tall. Allthough it may last a lot longer I have a 16' 5x5 that I build with scrap lumber that cost half that much. Wooden stands do take yearly maintenance, they need to be painted, nails/screws checked, any rotting needs to be replaced immediatly. When I build a ladder for either a box or a ladder stand I use a two rung method. If the ladder is 18" wide then I have a 2x4 18" and another one 14" and they are nailed together and then nailed to the ladder legs. This is a lot safer way to do it but, it does cost a lot more to do as well.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:30 PM

You can look up treehouse plans on the internet. There are a ton of them. Just choose a simple one.

Quick Reply: Homemade Stands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.