Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

food plots?

Old 07-23-2006, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default food plots?

Where I live I dont see planting a food plot is worth it. I already have food plots that farmers planted. A woods I hunt has corn, alalfa, and a bean fields surrounding it. Why spend the money?
Old 07-23-2006, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: food plots?

I have the same problem here in IL. Seems like the deer don't hit my food plots till the end of season and after season. They eat corn and beans all summer and during the fall they browse on the spilt corn and beans from the harvest. I guess food plots are a good source of nutrition for them after they have everything else ate up.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:28 PM

deer will always go after what they are used to first. then they may dabble in other stuff. but if you have that much crops in the area then i wouldnt spend money on plots
Old 07-24-2006, 05:18 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: VA HEAD HUNTER

deer will always go after what they are used to first. then they may dabble in other stuff. but if you have that much crops in the area then i wouldnt spend money on plots
Once those crops get harvested the deer have the plot to munch in the late season . Not many beans or corn on the ground in Nov-Dec , so a late season plot can extend your opportunities . Something as simple as a small plot of beets or turnips can be very attractive to a deer when there's nothing else but bark to eat and a frost has sweetened the greens . They'll dig up the roots later after the greens are gone .
Old 07-24-2006, 07:24 AM

I hunt farmland as well, we pay the farmer too leave up a few rows of crop in different areas. We didnt put food plots in since the main course is already there! We did plant several apple and pear trees along the perimeter of the woodlots though,, supply dessert!
Old 07-24-2006, 12:31 PM

well put VA. H. H
ORIGINAL: VA HEAD HUNTER