Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

places to hunt in PA

Old 07-12-2006, 10:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default places to hunt in PA

i know there are alot of southwest PA deer hunters on here and was wondering where the hot spots are around here...i like in allegehney county (never hunted here though) we usually unt in washington county or greene and we see less and less deer every year...yes i see all these HUGE buck pics taken from around here...anyone know of some good spots?
Old 07-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: places to hunt in PA

greene and somerset are probably the best bet to get a deer in state game lands.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

We hunt western Greene also. I know what you mean about less and less deer. We've noticed lots more sub legal bucks but less deer overall.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

anywhere on the sgl's are going to be hard huntingin southwest pa. the pressure is so great. It looks like a giant pumpkin field on sgl's duringrifle season.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:33 PM
Fork Horn

we hunt very little public land....we have3 different places to hunt but only 1 is public, we are the only people ever in the public land, one of the privates we cant hunt rifle in there, archery only, and the other private land is shot out.....and we NEVER see deer in any of them like what im seeing on here..thats what im tryin to figure out....
Old 07-16-2006, 07:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

The best place I ever hunted was a electric companies property They allow only a one day hunt all year. You must be handicapped and there is 1200 acres.Deer population is around 500 on the 1200 acres. massive deer/ So get handicapped and join me this year.bow or Muzzy only.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:59 AM

You see some huge deer taken in Alllegheny county, because you basically have to bee an outlaw to hunt most of it. I hunted with such a guy one year who would hunt the borders of North and South parks. However, he and a group of others who killed some monsters every year would take off their orange and push the park out towards the borders. Risky as hell, and too much chaos for me. So I don't hunt with those fellas anymore. They also would hunt near housing developments and basically push out peoples backyards. Their favorite story is one time they killed five deer from a guys back deck two bucks and three doe, the bucks were 130+. The guy's neighbor was having a deck party and 100 people saw the whole thing. The guy's neighbor: Mario Lemieux-Pittsburgh Penguins
Old 07-16-2006, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

Deerslayer - What type of hunting are you planning on doing? Bow? Slug? I think there are a lot more areas to hunt in Allegheny if you are a Bow hunter, but dont expect the big bucks that are posted here.. I also agree with what Chuckclear2 is saying.... I worked with a guy who invited me to hunt with him.... Let me just say, that after hunting with him, I choose to hunt only on my own or with people I really know. The outlawing that goes on in Allegheny Co. is ridiculus.....
Old 07-16-2006, 09:13 PM

ORIGINAL: PA_BOW_HUNTER
The outlawing that goes on in Allegheny Co. is ridiculus.....
hey somebody has to clear out the urban bucks and keep them from getting hit by soccer mom's in their minivans.