Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 what should I plant in my food plot? >

what should I plant in my food plot?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what should I plant in my food plot?

Old 03-20-2006, 08:51 PM

Default what should I plant in my food plot?

I am getting ready to plant a food plot on my land in northeast MO and I just want your opinion on what I should plant to atract more deer to my area.

Thanks,josh
Old 03-21-2006, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: what should I plant in my food plot?

How much land are we talking about??? How large will the plots be??
Do you plan to also plant a fall plot??? What type of equipment will you have to be working with???
Old 03-21-2006, 08:05 AM
Typical Buck

What is PowerPlant?
Imperial PowerPlant, the newest product offered by The Whitetail Institute, is an annual planting that consists of a mixture of warm season forages that work together to offer an ultra high-protein food source. Completely different than any product developed by the Institute, PowerPlant provides more tonnage of browse per acre than any food plot product available.

The unique seed blend includes small amounts of sorghum and sunflowers along with heavy doses of beans and peas. The specially developed legumes found in PowerPlant are fast growing and extremely high in protein. Because of the unique blend of forages and fast growing capabilities, PowerPlant can be planted in smaller acreages and has a much better chance of surving relatively heavy browsing.

PowerPlant is a spring/summer planting that grows very well in a variety of moist and dry soils, and has been field tested around the country on wild, free-ranging deer. The plot will typically thrive throughout the hottest months and into early fall.

PowerPlant is not a substitute for Imperial Whitetail Clover, ALFA-RACK or No-Plow, it is an additional forage to further enhance the health of your deer herd. PowerPlant simply increases the amount and diversity of protein-rich forage available on your property, and it grows in more soil types than clover. Its primary purpose is to offer deer the high-protein, antler-building forage needed during the antler-growing process.

A PowerPlant food plot looks and functions differently than other food plots. As the taller, structural forages grow, viney plants grow up the stalks. The support plants grow to a maximum height of 4 to 6 feet and prevent the beans and peas from simply crawling along the ground. Viney legumes that do not have a support structure will often become stunted and fall into poor health. The support plants allow the viney plants to rapidly regenerate and provide constant forage throughout the plots lifespan. A typical 1-acre PowerPlant food plot can produce more than TWO TONS of forage per year.

PowerPlant is easy to plant and establish. A 25-pound bag of PowerPlant typically covers three-quarters to one acre. After a soil test is done to determine the pH level, spread the appropriate amount of lime on the site to reduce acidity. Whitetail Institute products produce optimum results when pH levels are around 7. Disk the area thoroughly at least 4 to 6 inches deep. Disperse the seed and LIGHLTY disk or harrow the plot to cover the seed no more than 1 inch deep. Recommended plantings run from early May to late June, depending on location.

Old 03-21-2006, 01:37 PM

i'm from northeast Mo. we just put in beans corn milo at one end and clover at the other end . then in the late summer we sew turnip seed in the bare spots . they will eat the turnips off as fast as the grow .
Old 03-21-2006, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

i'm from missouri too. go to your local mfa; they have a blend that they sell that is clover, wheat, chicory and turnips.plant it early september and the deer will go crazy over it.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

what trt sniper said works here in so east mo also!