Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What to look for in warm hunting boots? >

What to look for in warm hunting boots?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What to look for in warm hunting boots?

Old 01-14-2006, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default What to look for in warm hunting boots?

I need some help in picking out some new hunting boots ..I just can't handle getting my tootsies cold ..just kind of takes the fun out of it ..so how about some suggestions ...I would like a set with leather uppers and rubber lowers but WARMETH is the big thing I am open to suggestions .. give me an idea what to get ..how much thet are and where to find them ..the Good Doctor thanks you.

dd
Old 01-14-2006, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What to look for in warm hunting boots?

You could always try the search function in the Hunting Gear review, works great and you will get all kinds if info! I my self use Alpha Burlys!
Old 01-14-2006, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

BHF thanks ..do they have a web site for those boots?

dd
Old 01-14-2006, 08:16 PM
Typical Buck

dd check out walmart i got a good pair from there i just cant remember the name price was not bad either another palce would be dicks sporting goods here in asheville they have a good slection
Old 01-14-2006, 08:17 PM
Fork Horn

I were Rocky wild wolf with a pair of $2.99 army socks from herb philepson`s
Old 01-15-2006, 04:44 AM

The most important thing in keeping your feet warm is to keep your head warm. Why? The brain is a highly aerobic organ, and as such, it requires a lot of blood to keep it functioning, both for the oxygen, and the warmth. If the brain senses that it's not staying warm enough, it will restrict the blood vessels going to the far extremities--i.e., the toes and the fingers. They'll start to feel cold. As the brain continues to require more and more heat (due to heat loss from inadequate headgear), the hands and feet willhave more and more of their blood flow restricted, thus feeling colder and colder.

Start at the top and work down . . .
Old 01-15-2006, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Double D,it is all the same things that you hear over and over again.Make sure you have plenty of room in the boots for heavy socks and so your feet are not constricted.I would go at least a full size larger than your boot size.Heat packs in the boots or the use of ice breaker boot blankets will keep your feet warm.The advice about keeping your head warm is right on the money.Personally I rarely hunt in boots with more than 600 grams of thinsulate because I am typically walking quite far to get to where I will sit,I rely on loose boots wool socks and heat packs or the boot blankets.
I have had very good experience with Schnee's boots,they make a cold weather pac boot.I have heard a lot about Lacrosse's cold weather pac boots,but I have not had first hand experience.
Hope you find something that does the job!
Old 01-15-2006, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

How cold does it get in Alabama? ANyway DD I would look into wearing a moisture wicking thin sock and layer that witha merino wool sock. Check out Bass Pro website theyhave plenty of boots to keep your tootsies warm. I would suggest either rocky's or Lacrosse. Oh yeah here is one other thing you can do if you hunting from a stand. If you are hunting from a stand that has metal base like most of todays climbers and ladder stands, place a piece of carbet on the lower section where your feet rest. THink of a bridge in the winter, it will freeze well before the road will,why? Because it has cold air moving across it from the top and the bottom. Now by putting a piece of carpet on your stand will not block the wind it will be an insulator from your boots coming in contact with the fridged metal. Good lock
Old 01-15-2006, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys ...as for how cold it gets in Alabama ..when I got up this morning I looked out in the backyard and saw a beagle with a set of jumper cables trying to boost off a jack rabbit ...it was 23 here this morning !

dd
Old 01-15-2006, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

All my boots have to be waterproof so they aren't very warm!

Quick Reply: What to look for in warm hunting boots?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.