Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

REMINGTON SLUG GUN

Old 10-16-2002, 06:14 PM

Default REMINGTON SLUG GUN

I am think about getting a slug gun. How far can a slug gun shot and does a slug gun have alot of knock down power. Thanks for yalls help
Travis H.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: REMINGTON SLUG GUN

I have a Remington 870 Express and I like it. I put a slug barrel and a scope on it. I can get pretty good groups out to 150 yards shooting lightfield slugs. Last year I shot a doe with it and hit it high in the spine (30 yards). It practically broke her back in 2. It kinda made a V shape. So I would say yes it has a lot of knock down power. I never shot at any game at long distances, but bet it will do the job if you do yours.

Old 10-16-2002, 07:32 PM

A slug gun has as much if not more knockdown power than any gun out there. I think a 3 inch mag. shell is 400 grains. You put that in the boiler room of any animal and they aren't going far. I have a bolt action slug gun and love it. Mossbergs bolt slug gun is about $250 at any walmart. I use litefield 2 and 3 qurters inch shells. I sighted in at 2 inches high at 100 yards and can hold dead on at 200 yards. Also the gun is very reliable, only down side is it is a little heavier that the average sluggun.
Old 10-16-2002, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot many deer with a slug. I've used 2 3/4' and 3", cheap slugs and expensive sabots, slug barrels, rifled choke tubes and even many from smooth bore. I've used no sights, rifle sights, red dots and scopes. I've shot hundreds of rounds of slugs from each manufactuer.

Slugs have more knock down power then you can imagine.(after you shoot a couple you'll see what I mean) For close in hunting (under 100-125 yards) I'd choose a slug gun over a rifle anyday! For most people and set-ups 100 yards is about max for accurate shooting.

If you're a really good shot with a rifled barrel and scope 150 yards is possible for accurate shooting. I don't like scopes for slugs guns unless you're in pretty open country. Iron sights are ok but very slow and your range is reduced. The best allaround sight for a slug gun is a red dot sight(not scope) They're very fast, easy to shoot(both eyes open)! Get one with a small dot. 5 MOA or less.

The biggest thing is to shoot a few different kind of slugs through your gun. One will group th best. Often its been the cheapest 1.99 Remington 1 0z. Sluggers but good Sabots are hard to beat. My experience has been 2 3/4" has been more accuate then 3" shells.(way easier on your shoulder)

My latest slug Gun - Remington 870 3" Mag pump, Hastings fully rifled barrel with muzzle brake, ADCO Ranger Red Dot sight(4MOA)
and a sling.

A real Deer slayer

Good Luck!

PRACTICE....PRACTICE....PRACTICE......SUCCESS!
Old 10-17-2002, 02:49 AM

I've used the same slug gun for in excess of 20 years & it's knocked down a few deer to say the least!!! Oh yeah, it's a Remingtion 870 pump 2 3/4 12 guage with slug barrel & Tru-Glow sights...works for me.....Brampton Mike
Old 10-17-2002, 09:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

I read somewhere that the 12 guage slug and 30-06 were very comparable at 100 yards for knock down power.

Old 10-17-2002, 11:48 AM
Spike

Some people are probably tired of hearing my story, but I jump at every chance to help educate others that the newer slug guns are way more powerful and lethal than the slugs of years past that had smooth bores and used the old "pumpkin ball" or standard slugs. With the new rifled barrels made for slugs, better sites and the new sabot ammunition, you can easily expect to get rifle like accuracy out to 100 yds and beyond if you practice enough.
Both my brother in law and I use Remington 11-87 semiauto's with Hastings rifled barrels and I can consistantly shoot 5 rounds at 100 yds with most if not all touching each other. We use Lighfield 12 ga slugs and I cab personally tell you how devastating they are. We both have harvested dozens of deer over the last few years and I would have no use for a high power rifle in the areas we hunt (assuming they were legal where we hunt).
In addition, I had a most unfortunate accident on opening day in NY state last year. I was shot in the back just as I stepped on the ground, getting out of my stand with one of these slugs. It put a huge hole in my back, just missing my spine and the top of my right lung. It knocked me right on my face. When the state police and game wardens investigated, they found that the shot came from my brother in laws' stand. He had gotten out of his tree stand also and was 180 yds away (they measured) when he had shot at some running deer that were crossing between his stand and mine. There was a sligh hill and a lot of trees and brush between us, but one of his shots missed and traveled (amazingly enough) through all those trees and over the hill, down to me without hitting a tree or bush before it hit me. It was a freak accident and we have always hunted safe so in my opininion, he's not really at fault for doing anything wrong or illegal. The point is, that slug traveled 180 yds to hit me. I weigh 270 lbs and have very large shoulders and that's the only reason that slug didn't take my shoulder clean off. I am very lucky to be here but just wanted to let guys like you that aren't sure how powerful or how far a slug will travel know that they are excellent deer guns and don't let anyone tell you they won't go far.

Good luck in whatever you choose and BE CAREFUL !

Old 10-17-2002, 03:47 PM
Fork Horn

I have a 870 Series Express 2 3/4, 3 inch barrel as well. Very good gun. Knock down power? Oh ya. I would say very good knock down power especially within a hundred yards. My uncle took a 11 pointer 2 years ago (Slug) with the same type of gun just over 100 yds. Dropped him dead where he stood. Cant go wrong with the Remingtons. Very good and reliable guns. It is good for duck and goose hunting as well. I just got this gun not too long ago and it came with both barrels for a pretty good price. I like it a lot.

Starrman

Ron Starr